Total noon here how do find out what make my exhaust is

Discussion in 'Newbie Scooter Tuning' started by Nick Kruklinski, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    Yeah, you are probably running a bit weak at the top end. Bad bogging down when setting off could also be worn rollers in the variator. Have you checked the spark plug colour and what does it look like?

2. Nick Kruklinski

Nick Kruklinski Member

Rides:
    Typhoon XR 125
    I haven't as i don't have a socket big enough but im sure i can pick one up tomorrow. And if needs be i have a spare spark plug thats not been used

3. Nick Kruklinski

Nick Kruklinski Member

Rides:
    Typhoon XR 125
    Whipping spark plug out tomorrow managed to get socket I needed last night not at work tomorrow so will do it the. What size jets should I be looking at?

4. Nick Kruklinski

Nick Kruklinski Member

Rides:
    Typhoon XR 125
    Well took my plug out id say it's a brown/black colour i took some pictures of it here they are IMG_20140113_113604.jpg IMG_20140113_113611.jpg

5. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    That doesn't look too bad, it's not running really weak but I would still try jetting up a size or two. Take the jet out, read the number stamped onto it, add 4 to that number and that's the next size up that you need.

6. Nick Kruklinski

Nick Kruklinski Member

Rides:
    Typhoon XR 125
    Would it be a six or five mm jet its a standard carb so should be mikuni I believe

7. Nick Kruklinski

Nick Kruklinski Member

Rides:
    Typhoon XR 125
    Its eating through fuel so bad as well it's literally all noise for a good few minutes before it starts moving anywhere properly

8. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    I suspect that the rollers are worn with flat spots and need replacing. My TKR had symptoms just like that until I replaced the rollers. Change the rollers before you change the jet.

9. Nick Kruklinski

Nick Kruklinski Member

Rides:
    Typhoon XR 125
    I ordered some rollers this morning I've got 12g ones coming also would a split air filter hose make it run lean. Sorry with all the questions.

10. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    Yes, a split air hose will make the mixture leaner then it should be, as the filter slows down the air flow slightly. Can you tape up the air hose for now with duct tape or insulation tape?

11. Nick Kruklinski

Nick Kruklinski Member

Rides:
    Typhoon XR 125
    I used masking tape its all I had to hand but was making it better I did see an increase in miles. Just can't seem to find one for it anywhere. So with the new rollers it should be okay and would I see better fuel consumption as I'm not having to use so much power to get moving?

12. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    That's the idea. The rollers are worn and are taking ages to move and engage the pulley to drive the transmission. On top of that, they probably aren't going fully out to give you the maximum drive ratio, so that's why your fuel usage is higher than it should be.

New rollers will be a revelation in terms of performance. If you can take the air hose off, posta photo of it and we can maybe suggest something that might help to seal it, or at least we can see the damage and advise on a better 'quick and dirty' fix.

13. Nick Kruklinski

Nick Kruklinski Member

Rides:
    Typhoon XR 125
    IMG_20140113_114556.jpg this is it but its spit all the way around with just a bit of rubber still attached about three qauters round the split is. I was thinking of using glue or locktite on it to seal it back up but not sure that would work

14. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    I do love 'Ghetto' repairs like this! :D

If it's rubber, could you take it off and maybe superglue the split together, before taping over it to support it?

Another idea is to nip to your local car parts shop and see if they have any radiator hose that is a similar size that could be cut to length to fit. Radiator hose is designed to work under pressure and is very unlikely to split in an air hose application. :)

15. Nick Kruklinski

Nick Kruklinski Member

Rides:
    Typhoon XR 125
    It is rubber I just did that as I noticed it when I had to do my throttle cable but must of been like it for a while as it quietend it down a bit as well I could but my local one is Halfords I'll have it off at the weekend as that's when I'll get my rollers put on as won't have time until then as with work. But I'll try both options you have suggested :). Thank you so much for the help. I just can't wait to get it running properly as I bought it as a non runner :)

16. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    Halfrauds will charge an arm and a leg for some hose and it's for people with more money than sense. Haven't you got a Motor World or a small motor factor shop near you?

17. Nick Kruklinski

Nick Kruklinski Member

Rides:
    Typhoon XR 125
    Unfortunately not Skeg doesn't have much but there is an A.E Cook which is a parts supplier :) and I know some one who works that could work me a price out :). Well Halfords charged me a fiver for one socket that I needed haha

18. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    You're pronouncing it wrong - it's HalFRAUDS and is best known for selling bling, multifit wheels, dodgy car stereos/amps and suspect go-faster crap to 'Barry' to fit to his Clio, Corsa or other shopping hatchback, to supposedly make it look more 'gangsta' than granny. :p

Nick Kruklinski likes this.
  19. Nick Kruklinski

Nick Kruklinski Member

Rides:
    Typhoon XR 125
    Now this is true no wonder there are so many G mobiles around these areas full of 17 year old chavs with blacked out windows haha

20. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    If there's a Mickey D on the same retail park, then Baz can go and impress the Kappa Slappers with his fine range of drum n' bass or jungle choons, played at warp eleventy to make the windows throb and the babies cry. Throw in half a bottle of Lambrini and he's sorted for the night wiv da biyatches, ai.

In my youth (yoof?) they called these cars 'Saturday Night Specials' - you can guess why.

Stevep likes this.