Tomos....What Model ?

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by Del Sky, Nov 26, 2020.

1. Del Sky

Del Sky Active Member

Rides:
    A "Chinese Thing"
    Just in the process of buying this old girl, pretty poor state, but what a project !!......anyone identify what model it is, it's from 1983.....

Attached Files:

2. Del Sky

Del Sky Active Member

Rides:
    A "Chinese Thing"
    I should add, it's a kickstart model, not pedals, although the kickstart is missing........

3. Del Sky

Del Sky Active Member

Rides:
    A "Chinese Thing"
    O.k I think it's an A3K model.....presumably the K denotes having a kickstart......anyone know where the VIN No. is ?

4. Del Sky

Del Sky Active Member

Rides:
    A "Chinese Thing"
    There is this plate, under the seat, with a 6 digit No. which matches the engine No......I thought all VIN numbers were 17 digits though.....can anyone help ?

Attached Files:

5. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Early model bikes had 6 digit numbers. My 1971 suzuki has a 6 digit vin number.
    You might want to check if it's still on the dvla database though, if not.................welcome to hell and then some.

6. Del Sky

Del Sky Active Member

Rides:
    A "Chinese Thing"
    Thanks for that, Yes it is still on the DVLA database, at least a vehicle with it's reg. No. is.... the last V5 change was in 1987, and last taxed in 1988......so if the reg No. is correct it must have had a VIN No.......I think I'm correct in saying that you can't apply for the V5 WITHOUT a valid VIN no. ?....I'm not in a hurry as it is a very long term project

7. Del Sky

Del Sky Active Member

Rides:
    A "Chinese Thing"
    I have tried various VIN de-coders, but they all ask for a 17 digit number, what I really need is a Tomos expert, that could take one look at it, and say yeah that's so and so year......by the time it's finished it will be tax and MOT exempt anyway.....all good fun.....

8. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Spend £3 and do a vehicle check with the reg number. It'll give you the vin number as well.

Even if the current owner only has the green slip part of the V5, you can get the new V5 by using the document reference number off that.
    Just take off the first number from it......for instance......1234567890 is the proper number on the front of the V5, on the new owner (green slip) part it will show 11234567890. Deduct the first number (1) and there you go.
    IF a V5 has been sent out after that and the current owner hasn't got it, then the system will reject it. But it won't flag anything else.

9. Del Sky

Del Sky Active Member

Rides:
    A "Chinese Thing"
    OK Steve thanks......there is no green slip, or current V5.....it was last on the road in 1988, that was when it was last road taxed, but it IS still on the DVLA database......when you say spend £3 and do a vehicle check, where do I do this ?......I do have the reg. number.

10. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

11. Del Sky

Del Sky Active Member

Rides:
    A "Chinese Thing"
    No , won't work Steve.....just looking at others

12. Del Sky

Del Sky Active Member

Rides:
    A "Chinese Thing"
    Found one called "Check My Reg." it will give last SEVEN digits of VIN for 99 p........

13. Del Sky

Del Sky Active Member

Rides:
    A "Chinese Thing"
    Mmmhhh......it would seem that all of these sites that say they can get you your VIN have either shut down, or only give partial digits.....apparently DVLA don't like them.....

14. Del Sky

Del Sky Active Member

Rides:
    A "Chinese Thing"
    I think maybe before I part with 25 quid, for a new V5c, a call to DVLA might be in order, although from past experience it might not do any good, not in any hurry for the logbook, but it would be good to have it in my name

15. Del Sky

Del Sky Active Member

Rides:
    A "Chinese Thing"
    Just got the V5c logbook for the old girl.....so it IS right, a VIN don't have to be seventeen digits long.....you learn something every day.....