to polish..or not to polish pm exhaust

Discussion in 'Visual Modifications' started by russtay, Jan 4, 2013.

1. russtay

russtay Member

Greetings..
    Just after some opinions really, my clear lacquer on my pm exhaust has gone brown after about 900 miles..the exhaust now looks crap..started to sand it off and polish it up.. (just too shiney) using another clear lacquer hoping this wont go brown again quite so quickly. I've got a vht clear 650 so hoping this will do the trick..failing that I'll just paint it black..i just like the origional finish complete with heat colouration and this will be gone when I've finished getting all the flippin varnish off..so what do ya reckon...paint it black or polish it up and lacquer it again..
    Cheers..

2. Stig

Stig Well-Known Member

Rides:
    EXUP1000
    If it was factory laquer then it was probably high temp clear to start with. It depends on how often you can be bothered to re-coat the pipe as to whether you go for clear again. Any paint will only last a short time when exposed to the elements and conbined with heating and cooling on a regular basis...even chrome suffers after a while. Coatings that will last the test of time will cost probably as much as a new pipe. Applying paint will only slow the rusting process

3. russtay

russtay Member

Nice one, the pipe came not lacquered and pm recommended doing so or painting it..was not keen on the chrome finish and now potentially gonna get it by polishing it up..the scoot never sees rain and less than 1000 miles a year..gonna try polishing without going all bling bling and maybe lacquer it again...think the silver paint will look rubbish too??

4. Stig

Stig Well-Known Member

Rides:
    EXUP1000
    I did a polini Evo exhaust with high temp clear after i'd polished it up. Being as the steel didnt get to a serious chrome-like shine and the laquer then dulled it further, it looked fine. Dont know how long it lasted though as I did it to maximize appeal to sell it

5. ramo

ramo GoldMember

It makes the pipe a bit weaker over time I've read aswell