throttle cables!!

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by MiNoR cOnFuSiOn, Dec 2, 2008.

1. tarkerz

tarkerz New Member

Rides:
    Aprilia SR50R
    you must be though.. happy new year :)

2. J4CK

J4CK Member

Rides:
    Piaggio NRG 172
    Mine seems ok just put a new back break cable on though :)

3. mbk3dga

mbk3dga Member

Rides:
    aprilia sr R
    my one was bit hard to get back , so got a lot of wd40 in the cable and throttle , seems to work pretty well now :)

4. Sam Atkinson

Sam Atkinson MONSTER NRG POWER

Rides:
    Piaggio NRG Power DD
    i need a new cable because mine is really hard to go back :confused: am not taking out till fixed :L

5. 4strokelover

4strokelover Active Member

Rides:
    Longjia Raptor 200
    i thought id add to the throttle cable buisness. I used to use WD40 to lube all of my cables,
    Is WD40 a good thing to lube cables or does it weaken them as it gets rid of the grease ??

6. mourneman

mourneman Member

Rides:
    VivaCity 50cc
    wd40 is ok to clean the old oil and grease off but once you have it cleaned you should oil the cable

7. PedHead

PedHead Member

Are throttle cables checked in MOT's & services at garages?

8. greg531

greg531 Member

I am installing a 125 2T Runner throttle cable on my Typhoon, because I am installing a 20.5 Delorto Carb, and am in the USA....Since the Runner never made it to the US, I have to order parts, since most places want 30 to 40 pounds to send a 6 quid cable to the US!
    Does anyone know of a cheap shipper to the States???

9. Gemma

Gemma Captain Spooky

Rides:
    VT 500 E
    Have to agree with the sentiments of this thread. When we first got my son's scooter I thought the twist grip was a bit stiff but nothing all that bad.

Turned out the cable was about to completely seize up. So if it's playing up sort it out!

10. JoJo

JoJo Active Member

Rides:
    Honda MSX
    I had to mess with my Throttle when I got the Stage6 Quick Action Throttle, was a pain in the arse, I couldnt find one with the Carb end connections on it, with nothing on the Bar end, had to cut it below the angled metal and get a Nipple which you screw on the end of the Cable, works well though, Throttle does stick abit but noticed its the positioning of it all, working great now........ regarding Brakes lol dont!!! Brakes from hell.

11. turbovetto

turbovetto Well-Known Member

Rides:
    tweaked ovetto
    There was a company that made brake cables for BMX with a teflon liner tube back in the day. They were great ! If you were a freestyler and you needed really accurate one finger braking - that was the way you got it.
    Why doesn't someone make a throttle cable with a teflon liner ? All this steel against steel is crap - even with propper axle grease. And don't get me started on the Right angle pipe at the entrance to the top of the carb.......
    I had the throttle stick on the scoot a couple of years ago. Mertakit pro race, Yasuni 21. Dunno how fast I was going but you can bet it was fairly quick. It could have been really nasty. I flicked the ignition off. Scared the shit out of me.

12. Pockets

Pockets Active Member

Well git my throttle cable from dealers agin works like a dream took 5 mins to fit

The make self lub chains why not some cables

13. Rickard Pingol

Rickard Pingol Active Member

I prefer som thin oil. I use shimanos stuff for cable and liners. Works wonder.