Thanks for all the help it passed mot

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by mikestan, May 21, 2020.

1. mikestan

mikestan Member

Well the old girl passed its first mot in 10 years no i didnt have it that long lol after 3 year of me owning it and the never ending mechanical issues and parts to find here it is.

Funny thing is i still have not tested it yet so aint got a clue on how fast it goes it seems to run good first time start with no choke smokes a bit for a min or so but that fades thanks toy you guys and the help you have given i will test it when its taxed and insured and update u with speed etc at least now i can try different things then legally test it on the roads without risk. 99439763_379340726338594_7094472257078034432_n.jpg 100474190_637275196887775_7313904811995299840_n.jpg

Mark Emerson Trentham likes this.
  2. Rickard Pingol

Rickard Pingol Active Member

Different still cool scooter

3. mikestan

mikestan Member

Yeah the problem was i couldnt get it to go any faster that 20 25 mph i gave up risking road tests just bought the required stuff with the help from the guys here but not tested since i thought id bite the bullet finish it get it tested insured this week etc then i can mess with it more n test as i go without worry of getting pulled hopefully its ok it sounds a lot better now revs up on point so im hopefull

4. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    Rare as hens teeth !

5. mikestan

mikestan Member

Oh yeah m8 now taxed insured etc took it for its first legal run in 10 years and im getting flat out now 34mph the wind hits me im down to 28 mph god help me uphill lol and me mate was behind me in his car weird i know lol but he said its smoking to the point of getting pulled by the law i reckon its letting too much 2 stroke in so im going to kill the tank and mix direct in the fuel tank i believe its 100ml 2stroke per gallon not 100%sure lol if its not the fact of too much oil what else am i missing here its got new everything im now at a loss as its cost me more than i believe its worth but i declared war on it and this P O S is winning lol

@MARSH you aint wrong on that like its took nearly 3 years to find all the parts LMFAO

6. mikestan

mikestan Member

Oh forgot to mention its slow as F**K when you pull off too

7. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    Have you had transmission out ?

8. mikestan

mikestan Member

Yeah it was leaking oil so i stripped n cleaned it out new gasket oil etc
    put new springs on clutch 1000rpm ones roughed it up with a little samdpaper as it looked shiny smooth thinking it would give a better bite

9. mikestan

mikestan Member

Update ...I took the airbox off to find what seemed to be petrol in there so i started it up gently covering the carb by hand and it seems the carb is spitting fuel out also thought id remove the sparkplug to see if its normal for a new plug its done about 4 mile on test run 4.jpg 3.jpg

10. mikestan

mikestan Member

Was also wondering if it could be the head or piston any ideas what results of a compression test should be around im going to pick up a compression test kit its a new piston n rings on a old head....just a thought behind this speed issue

11. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    Plug look's ok, head won't be a problem. P.S.I. should be around 100+/- I'm guessing. Stevep would know better.

12. mikestan

mikestan Member

Its driving me nuts now to be honest its had new everything exept the head there has to be something i have missed aparently on the specs of this it should reach 65mph i doubt it will ever get to this as stock but at least 40 with a decent pull off and no bloody smoke lol

13. mikestan

mikestan Member

Just a thought if i was to upload a vid to youtube n put the link up on here would that be of any help as in diagnosis etc??

14. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Compression should be around 130psi on a good cylinder, below 90 and you'll have trouble starting it.
    Looking back through the posts, you say that the carb is spitting fuel out the back?
    Drop the main jet size a couple of points, try it with the airbox on and off.
    As for the slow take off, it'll probably be down to the engine not getting into the power band before engaging the clutch; that'll probably change when you sort the jetting out, if not you can shim the variator out to allow the belt to slip a little more on initial throttle.
    Or the rollers are a bit too heavy......

15. mikestan

mikestan Member

Shim the variator out? what does that mean mate Stevep?
    Looking back on what ive bought the rollers are 5.4g

16. Rickard Pingol

Rickard Pingol Active Member

Shims are thin washers you put on you crank axle, between both variator halfs. Its widening the space where in the belt lies.

mikestan likes this.
  17. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Not quite, but close.....
    The shim washer goes between the variator centre boss and the fixed half only.
    The shim should be the same diameter as the variator boss hole and o.d.
    Basically what it does is make the variator boss the thickness of the washer longer, which allows the engine to spin up a little higher in revs before the variator starts to bite on the belt.
    If you have access to a lathe or machine shop you can make your own boss's, different lengths (increments of 0.5mm is good), just make sure the outside is highly polished as per the standard boss.

18. mikestan

mikestan Member

Thanks @Stevep im going to take a look at the carb first downgrade the jet ive just started it up let it run for 5 mins and recorded it and put it on youtube it was the best i could get really as the wind was blowing but you can get a good idea how bad its smoking too

19. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Ok, just viewed the video.
    Firstly, where's the air filter?

That's not picking up properly, not even close..........strip the carb, clean it thoroughly, down jet, one size at a time (without the filter), until it picks up crisp and clean, then drop it one more jet size and replace the filter.
    It should be near enough the same as without the filter on. If it is still a little boggy then drop the jet one more size.

20. mikestan

mikestan Member

I removed it in order to try to adjust the mixture it is the standard airbox type ill get it off tonight and strip and clean the lot ill also let you know what the jet sizes in there

Oh and Stevep thankyou for your help

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020