sym basix mx bar conversion ? what stem

Discussion in 'Visual Modifications' started by chaise, Apr 10, 2012.

1. chaise

chaise Member

Rides:
    sym jet basix 50cc
    i have just bought a sym jet basix and really want to do a bar conversion does anyone know of a stem that will fit? thanks

2. nn999sam7986

nn999sam7986 New Member

a guy called "Fenith" on youtube has a really nice bar conversion and aerox grill mouulded in along with a badboy front, all custom of course

IIRC he used bicycle parts to make it a naked bar, he lives in Sweden though, so he has no controls for light indicators, etc., he just wired the lights to be on permanently

3. nn999sam7986

nn999sam7986 New Member

i also have a techniwank exhuast for your scooter if you want to buy it?

its the one in his videos^

4. chaise

chaise Member

Rides:
    sym jet basix 50cc
    okay so i guess its gonna have to be a custom job then ? nothing available to bolt on ? not to much of a problem but i need to find a welder :( oh and i bet the techniwank exhaust your talking about isnt as bad as the technigas one i got on the bike :( more rust than the titanic gonna get the sanding mop on the drill not got my licence yet this is a project for a first bike but i only payed 100quid :D so cant complain need a new barrel and piston kit tho cos ehaust has been snapped at some point and theres a big hole gutted are the barrels same as the jet red devil euro x ect ? thanks for the vids :p any more help greatly appreciated oh and think im going green and black but ditching the monster stickers bar clamp design.JPG exhaust 1.jpg side.jpg rust.jpg front.jpg

5. Stathis

Stathis Black Nrg Power 70cc Beast!

Rides:
    Nrg Power 70cc
    that ped needs a hell of a work... try scooter-attack they might have a bar conversion ;)

chaise likes this.
  6. nn999sam7986

nn999sam7986 New Member

WHAT THE HELL IS THAT EXHAUST haha okay mines like new compared...

anyway lol its very hard to fond a 70cc kit for one of those but i know where if you want one, and also have a dellorto 21mm for sale atm aswell

chaise likes this.
  7. nn999sam7986

nn999sam7986 New Member

his isnt welded, its all bolts, he has a stem from a bicycle then just clamped on and bolted lol good friend of mine :)

chaise likes this.
  8. chaise

chaise Member

Rides:
    sym jet basix 50cc
    View attachment 2193 View attachment 2193 View attachment 2193 haha works already under way the previous owner (A d**k head) bodged the exhaust and refited the plastics badly but cant complain for 100quid can you post me a link to this 70 kit please ? would like to keep it a 50 tho if im being honest dont need a carb as of yet its a runner as is so want to get it looking a bit neater and actualy ride it before i go mad on carbs and stuff like that btw i tried a bmx stem on my forks (same size as mtb apart from rise and bar clamps) it sits right on the plastics before it even goes 3 quarters of the way over the fork stem and also it is about 2_3mm larger in diameter so no way i could fit it or a mtb stem :( would need a sleeve of some sort making :( so looks like i either need to take a chance and buy a stem to either fit or be modified or have my own made any ways some more pics of progress gotta strip it down tho and sort little bits of rust on frame and clean everything and get panels ready to be painted (need some money tho lol oh btw the gauge at the front on the inside panel is the fuel gauge still more work to be done :) what exactly do i need in terms of clocks and warning lights ect can some one please do me a list of the bare essentials to pass an mot also want to keep it as simple and small as possible so obviously not a ssp clock unit with every function know to man on it lol . dont mind making my own warning light panels and things just gotta know exactly what i need :p oh and the pic of the front is where the indicator are getting remounted sorry its a bad pic do i still need a warning light as i can see them over the bars ? sorry for the long post and thanks for all the help and suggestions

Attached Files:

9. Stathis

Rides:
    Nrg Power 70cc
    it already looks much nicer by the pics of it.. ;) but i dont know the laws of the MOT sorry :(

10. creamsodauk

creamsodauk Ped Ped!!

Rides:
    Runner 125 SP
    pretty sure you dont need a speedo or lights etc, but if you have lights or light switches they must all work same for the speedo. if they are not present they dont need to be there

11. chaise

chaise Member

Rides:
    sym jet basix 50cc
    yeah im gonna have indicators and a speedo possibly a mtb one ? just wasnt sure on anything else i required but i guess what your saying is if i choose to have somethig it must be all there and fully operational ? thanks

12. ramo

ramo GoldMember

Needs horn and indicators minimum on a moped. If you do your mot with no lights they can seize your shit if you ride at night.. Hardly the most difficult thing fitting a switch for headlights if you're fitting one for indicators etc..

chaise likes this.
  13. chaise

chaise Member

Rides:
    sym jet basix 50cc
    sorry yeah forgot it has a horn fitted and all lights just gona splice some switch gear in with a small speedo got the brake light switches aswell on the levers thinking of stage six switchgear ? http://www.pedparts.co.uk/product/471/stage-6-ssp-switch-unit any others ? do i have to have warning lights for indicators left right as i will be able to see my front ones over the bars without taking eyes of the road ? thanks for the help

14. ramo

ramo GoldMember

Yeah the S6 switches are fine they should have everything you'll need. Im pretty sure you'll need all the basic warning lights aswell (lights etc.). Its worth remembering that with lights you either need all of them or non of them.

15. chaise

chaise Member

Rides:
    sym jet basix 50cc
    sorted went with an aerox stem and modified it slightly will try and put pics on later :D for anyone interested

16. chaise

chaise Member

Rides:
    sym jet basix 50cc
    so i bought a cheap aerox stem in the hopes it would fit or be close to fitting and when it arrived i measured everything up with a vernier caliper and the internal diameter was 1.24mm smaller than my steerer tube diameter so i carefully dremmeled the .5mm of the inside all the way up where it mounts and kept test fitting it making sure it was a really tight fit (gentle tap from a rubber mallet is needed to push it all the way on) i then refitted the bolts to make sure they still went through the threads correctly again all good :) however i had to remove half an inch length from my steerer tube which i did with the forks still fitted using a hacksaw and then filing it level the only issue i have with it now is i would like to dremmel the bottom of the stem out by about another 2mm so it will sit over the exposed threads on the steerer and sit on top of the lock nut also bit unhappy about the fact there isnt an anti rotation pin because it was in the wrong place and i am not confident on drilling through the new stem where the old pin should be :( but it seems solid enough am i right in saying not all scooter stems have anti rotation pins anyway ?

Attached Files:

17. chaise

chaise Member

Rides:
    sym jet basix 50cc
    heres the other pics

Attached Files:

18. Stathis

Rides:
    Nrg Power 70cc
    looks good man! :) but whats the anti rotation pin??

19. chaise

chaise Member

Rides:
    sym jet basix 50cc
    the fact you don't know suggests its an over the top safety feature :D so i can live without it (thought most stems would have em) but basically you have the two bolts that grip the stem to the steerer tube and then a pin that goes from one side of your stem through a hole in the steerer tube and back out the other side so bars cant spin in an accident just added saftey i guess... im just really happy i have the bars fitted now :D just gotta finish wiring up the switch gear and stuff oh and sort a custom square bar pad :)

20. Stathis

Rides:
    Nrg Power 70cc
    oh kinda got it now :p nice nice

chaise likes this.