Starting issues and belt question

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by MrSkeedle, Jul 22, 2018.

1. MrSkeedle

MrSkeedle Member

Had some problems with my gilera runner 50 2009. Taking a long time to start, lots of kicks/a long time on the electric start. If i give any throttle it seems to worsen the situation, leading me thinking to it flooding? Once the bike starts and warms up a bit it runs like a beast! Also, if i warm it up, turn it off, and go back to start it, it starts in an instant.I dont really have much of an idea, so far i have checked the spark plug, its colour is great and so is the gap. from this i can see the engine seems to be running nicely, no burns etc.

Also had my first belt snap today :( had to push it back home (2 miles) wasnt fun lets say that. had an old belt that ive stuck on now that should be good for the foreseeable future, but i will definatly be ordering a new belt that i will either fit straight away or keep handy in case this one i have on now snaps. Clearly the new one i had on it, thats been on since beginning of the year (very little miles, under 1000) it cheap and crap. Looking to buy a good quality one, but also not too expensive!

Thanks guys

2. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    Buy and fit a genuine belt asap, check the reeds to make sure there closing properly.

3. MrSkeedle

MrSkeedle Member

where do i get a genuine belt?

4. 4strokelover

4strokelover Active Member

Rides:
    Longjia Raptor 200
    Id say use Pedparts for belts. They have plenty of different ones for your gilera.

5. MrSkeedle

MrSkeedle Member

they aren't genuine thou

6. 4strokelover

Rides:
    Longjia Raptor 200
    Oh your after a genuine standard belt ?
    I though they did them. just checked and they do cheap ones and aftermarket/ uprated ones.

7. MrSkeedle

MrSkeedle Member

I've had aftermarket one and it was crap. can't go wrong with genuine haha

8. 4strokelover

Rides:
    Longjia Raptor 200
    Oh right haha. Ill avoid aftermarket ones myself then. I do agree about the genuine ones tho. Ill have a little look around see if i can find any.

9. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    Fowlers of Bristol or AJ sutton for genuine parts.

10. MrSkeedle

MrSkeedle Member

Well, i wouldnt avoid entirely, a good aftermarket will be better than genuine, such as malossi who specialize in performance parts. But i dont want to pay like £30 really lol. this picture below is what the packaging looked like of the one i had that is now disintegrated. ill post a pic of it now haha

11. MrSkeedle

MrSkeedle Member

12. MrSkeedle

MrSkeedle Member

13. MrSkeedle

MrSkeedle Member

14. 4strokelover

Rides:
    Longjia Raptor 200
  15. MrSkeedle

MrSkeedle Member