Standard Carb setting for 2010 Gilera Runner ST 125

Discussion in 'General Tuning' started by Neil P, May 10, 2017.

1. Neil P

Neil P Member

I have searched for an age..and can't find anything in else online..

Anyone tell me the correct number of turns out of the mixture screw on the standard carb?

The standard factory carb is a Keihin CVK30
    Totally standard bike, all totally factory spec.

had the carb apart to clean blockages crap fuel etc..it was bunked up. Pretty sure it is clean now.
    But when I took it apart..I forgot to count the turns out on the side screw.. what a twat !!

had to fit a new inlet manifold.
    Diaphragm is good.

Any one know what it should be from stock? been slowly backing it out by quarter turns, after turning it out to 1 1/2 turns.

Plug still seems a bit white, after a full throttle run..
    and just now when stopping, turning off the key, it ran on for a second, or so after ignition off

Air filter is good..new foam , oiled with correct oil/ petrol mix.
    Filter to carb rubber manifold looks OK..no obvious cracks.

but the new plug seems to be indicating that the bike is running lean..a bit white

Oh and at low idle, rpm seems to 'hunt' a bit.

Oh....shit just remembered..I did notice that the crankcase breath pipe that goes into the air filter had a split..I had a new one ..never fitted it....bugger..will that air coming it from the split crankcase breath pipe cause this ...umm could well be it.

I'll leave this post here, and run the risk of ridicule...again...and hope some other may have useful info, like the carb setting

2. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

It's 2 turns

3. Neil P

Neil P Member

Thanks

I'll replace the damaged rocker cover breather pipe, screw it back to 2 turns out and see if that improves things

Thanks

4. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

You can always have a play with the mix screw.
    If you unscrew it too far the engine should increase in revs, too far in and it will start to die.
    If there is no change either way, then look at the slide needle position and main jet size.

5. Neil P

Neil P Member

Hi yes
    It is a pig to get to, but can be done with all plastic work in place with a long thin flat blade screwdriver from between the rear footpeg.

It is now I think 3 turns out, but still very 'wooly' at low throttle .
    Not given it a good run since then

But that screw is only low throttle settings right ? Main mixture when at Wide Open Throttle (WOT) is the main jet, slide and needle , Is that correct ?

The whole motor is totally factory stock setup, never been modified.

The bike had been parked up with stale fuel for 18 months, could not get it running, stripped carb a few times to clean.

Jets factory standard. 38 /98 from memory.

Pretty damn sure that the needle has only one position, it is not an adjustable type with grooves and Clip. Even if I had somehow re assembled incorrectly, I 'd guess my plug would be black rather than white and lean.

Diaphram looks good, slide does not snap back as quick as I'd thought it would when held open, but it sounds like the diaphragm 'doing its job' and suction slowing the slides descent.

If I don't get a work phone call today ( I am on 24/7 callout) I'll inspect the crankcase breather to filter box pipe and the SAS pipe again .. wonder if air is being sucked in ???

6. Neil P

Neil P Member

OK, so I replaced the breather from rocker cover to air filter box..seems to have improved a bit.
    Idle mix screw two turns out.

But still at low RPM it is a littly 'wooly' on the throttle response.