SR 50 R Factory convert to SR 180

Discussion in 'Maxiscooter Tuning' started by element6, Apr 29, 2011.

1. element6

element6 New Member

Rides:
    '06 SR50R Factory
    been watching gumtree too.. seems like more disc engines show up on there than ebay normally has. It would just be hard convincing someone selling on gumtree to package it up and ship it to me from the UK when it's more of a classifieds listing site. I've seen a few different LC engines for 150-250GBP ($246-$409 USD).. looked like good prices to me.

If anybody on here has an LC and disced Piaggio 125 that they aren't afraid to ship my way; get in touch with me and let me know what is included. I'm interested.

2. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn Administrator Staff Member

Rides:
    et2 monster
    dont know about a complete engine but bare cases and a hub wouldent be any trouble.

just found this thread tbh, the aprilia used in the previous conversion was a piaggio 50, meaning no real fabrication was needed, you simply cut down the stock mount a little and it slides into the 125 engine. i have serious doubts about the engine mounting position as the morini and minarelli engine both used a top mount where the piaggio's had a bottom, the frames are wacky different belive it or not, if your handy with a grinder a welder and a tape messure anythign is possible tho.

just out of ease, why did nobody sudgest sticking a carb on there and simply purchasing a loom to match/adapt from the good old uk? plus you can machine countless barrels to fit into the morini engine, your only limited by the stator/timing/transmission, but again you can adapt piaggio stuff into a morini/minarelli with a few simple parts.

your plight is one i see often, but unfortunatly if its looking expensive to get what you want, your gonna have to spend some money, things cost money, theres no real way round it. have you thought of importing an entire vehicle?

3. Bumlethal

Bumlethal Member

Actually morini is bottom mount...it'll make it a Lil easier than if he swapped into a sr minarelli frame....on my ruckus I used the same mount I used for my morini for thr sr 125 motor.... Only difference is instead of the morini hanger I modified the shiny red hanger to work....

4. element6

element6 New Member

Rides:
    '06 SR50R Factory
    yeah, it is a bottom mount. Which is why I am sure that when I attack this at the end of the summer it will be a very quick week spent on fabricating the mounts to make everything work.

Anyways, importing an entire scooter would be much more expensive, and it would not make much sense. I couldn't register it legally. I'm not going to try registering it illegally.

I am using a wiring loom from a runner vx dd along with the cdi and other electric parts from the same. The stock digi dash on the sr50 is going to be pulled and ill be using a koso mounted on renthal bars.

I'm going for unique in this project.. it's not all about the speed or the dyno readings; I've got many other faster toys. If I'm going to spend my time swapping an engine in my sr50, I want it to be something that nobody else has done. For under $3500 USD I will have created a very fun to ride little scooter and no one else in the US will know wtf it is.

As far as progress goes; it's summertime here. I'm buying parts for it as time allows but I'm not concentrating completely on this project at the moment. It's hot here, the water is warm, and I'm spending all my time out on the water with the jetskis and boat.

I will be using this thread to record all of my progress but not until the summer is over and it cools off a bit. I'd say the beginning of September I will be really digging in. Look for some updates then!

5. element6

element6 New Member

Rides:
    '06 SR50R Factory
    Wow.. a lot of time has gone by, and I am finally starting on this. The SR currently still has the morini in the frame, believe it or not.

For a while there, I was on the fence about doing the HighGain Tuning PFI install. I was ready to give it a go on the morini.. because we didn't get the Piaggio motor sold here on the SR50 until 2008. Mine is a 2006.

Because of that, my only viable cylinder option was a 70cc (really only yields 64.9cc displacement). Even with the HGT PFI kit on the morini and all of the case work done and proper transmission tuning done, the Morini with a 70cc and PFI yields around 12HP on the dyno. Really, this is awesome for 64.9cc of displacement.. but not enough HP for me. The other options were for me to sell my SR50 and buy an '08+ model OR swap a piaggio purejet motor and all of the electronics on there. Neither made much sense to me. I have become attached to my '06 SR50 hunk of steel and plastic in all its 5HP of glory.

So until last week, I was on the fence about selling it and getting a newer one and then doing the PFI install with a malossi 86cc kit (this yields 18.5+HP on the dyno).. BUT HOLD ON!!! Last week, some awesome guy in Germany decided to sell his motor assembly from a Gilera Runner FX DD!

Yes, I have on the way to me now, a complete motor block (minus carb and stock cylinder/piston) with the rear disc brake still attached!

I am very excited. I will create a new thread shortly with this build as things arrive. At this point I am waiting for the block to begin it's journey to me stateside. As soon as it gets here, I will start mocking up the motor and planning the mounts.

6. boweze_runner

boweze_runner SR172 amazing but sold !!! dragster again soon :D

Rides:
    Italjet Dragster 180
    very nice i look forward to seeing this i did this with my aprilia sr 50 r carb but it was alot easier for me as i live in the uk bracing the frame for the 125 engine isnt actully that hard its the filling in of the cooling aspect as the standerd rad isent enough and its wuite hard to ajust this to suit the big 125 rad as aprilias are so tightly packed in the frount as am sure you will know wich is why i opted to put the ac engine in myne from an sr 125 purely because its simpiler and i can still get relitevly the same performance as a lc 172 but please get a proffesional to set up the rollers and jetting as its essential as i found out myself thought i was pritty big onit until 2 mounths later when i seized it as it was running to lean at top end i always recomend getting these dynod and set up propley as there just far to figile for bill and bob to set it up in the garage with there rench box toolkit from halfords like i did but i have lernt now it was an expensive lesson though but nm i pass my knowlage on haha please post some stuff as i think this will be a grate build if you want to see my sr 50 125 conversion go into the projects section and check it out :)