Spraying transmission case

Discussion in 'Visual Modifications' started by cjrunner1, Jun 22, 2009.

1. cjrunner1

cjrunner1 New Member

Ok thanks for all your help, i went out today and brought grey primer and black spray from halfords, see how it goes, if it does not go well i will have to get powercoated :/ i dont use my kickstart much soo should be okk...

2. Stig

Stig Well-Known Member

Rides:
    EXUP1000
    Minors right, etching primer is best if metals been rubbed all the way back or bare in the first place.

prob with it is,...if you buy it in aerosol form, its mega bucks. Last one I bought was £12 :banghead:

I sprayed the case of a speedfight with normal primer and black satin paint. Let it harden for a day in the sun and it lasted ages. Coz it dont get too hot, theres not real need for VHT paint (it wouldn't hurt tho)
    As said tho' don't let petrol run on it, it'll fetch it off in a blink of an eye

Hannerite smooth from an aerosol is OK and durable. It dont give the same depth of shine as gloss paint. Cheapest place for Hammerite around here is Wilkinsons :thumbsup:

depends on what finish you're after and how well you look after it :cool:

3. cjrunner1

cjrunner1 New Member

4. Stig

Stig Well-Known Member

Rides:
    EXUP1000
    the 1st link took me to a degreaser...washing up liquid is good enough if concentrated

good point tho; make sure its well degreased before painting or you'll end up with fish eye

on the 2nd link it also says they do petrol resistent laquer...much better :good:

you only need laquer if you bought base coat or want the finish mega shiny. Normal black colour should be OK as it is

5. cjrunner1

cjrunner1 New Member

yeah yeah ok, umm whats fish eye lol ?

when i did the primar i sanded doen in between each coat, shall i do this when spraying the black on to

6. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn Administrator Staff Member

Rides:
    et2 monster
    get ALL the p[rimer on wihtout sanding, then flat wiht 400 then get ALL the colour on without sanding.. you flat it after with 1600/2400 and loads of water to get the shine or laquor then flat sand that. always use fuel resistant and enamels are made for a reason.

7. cjrunner1

cjrunner1 New Member

Oh i have already put the primar on and i have one layer of black on it and i only have 240 pape :/

8. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    if you have one layer of black thats gone off already more paint wont do fuck all but flake off.... sand 240 back to primer and reapply the colour, dust coat, heavy coat, let it tack off befor you spray the next (slightl;y sticky but stuck)

9. cjrunner1

cjrunner1 New Member

ok the coat i did today was kwite thin i will give a good sand down tomoz,, thanks for you help much appricciated (Y)

10. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    tomorow?

get all the primer on, leave it to go off.... then do ALL the paint in one go leaving 20 or so mins between... light dusty coat (makes the area larger) then heavy coat.. paint builds up andf sticks nicely this way. needs to ALL set at the same time really (one below starts to set as the next comes along) the n essentially its really one big thick coat of paint buiklt up slowly... so it all sticks together nicely and wont flake apart... sanding between is just a pain in the ass and a pointless excorsixe.. get LOTS of paint on then flat it off once your done. you wont go through the paint wiht the paper if you hnave enough on there

11. cjrunner1

cjrunner1 New Member

thanks mate will doo

12. cjrunner1

cjrunner1 New Member

Can i spray the laquar while the case is on the bike ? oh and heres a picture of finsihed product my first spray, and its not clean in the picture loads fingerprints, need shining up and laquared
    [​IMG]

Not that good butt oh well
    thanks for every1s help

13. Stig

Stig Well-Known Member

Rides:
    EXUP1000
    That looks quite tidy in the pics

If you're gunna laquer, you're better off doing it before fitting...saves on masking up too

Keep practicing...it'll come with time. You'll soon get the hang of how much paint to apply at each pass of the cans nozzle and each coat

When I did my lads panels (with a gun). I used filler primer, several coats and then sanded it back to rid of any imperfections...another coat of primer and then several coats of colour. This was then flatted back before applying the clear coat...loads and loads.

I then used rubbing compound to remove the microscopic high spots created when the paint spreads (looks like orange peel effect at its worst). The compound brings up the final shine to a mirror finish

BTW, fish eye looks like small holes in the surface of the paint...no matter how many coats you apply, they keep coming back and the paint will never cover them

heres a good place to see common probs when painting

http://www.monokote.com/lustrekote/painting-tips/topr7200tip5.html

14. cjrunner1

cjrunner1 New Member

Ok thanks for your help, im spraying my bros quadbike soon, when i have done that ill show you some pics see what you think :)

15. cjrunner1

cjrunner1 New Member

Helppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp my laquar seems to go freckaley, what happend do i need to start all again :? o_O

16. 172sonny

172sonny New Member

cod eye most probably, yep start again...sand it back to metal then give it a good de-greasing..or... youll have to sand it smooth..then spray it with barrier coat or bar coat..which will stop it from cod eyeing or reacting then primer then spray...did u spray the laquer over dry paint without wet flatting it first? never put a coat of paint on dryed paint without giving it a key first will react every time without fail if u dont ;)

17. cjrunner1

cjrunner1 New Member

ok thanks, its all sorted now looks good thanks anyway

18. 172sonny

172sonny New Member

ok no worries