Speedometer

Discussion in 'Visual Modifications' started by rustyscooter, Nov 18, 2013.

1. Subw00fer

Subw00fer Snqʍ00ɟǝɹ

Rides:
    70cc NRG
    Show us how you done it!

2. rustyscooter

rustyscooter Active Member

Rides:
    Aerox, Harley, Blade

did what?

3. Subw00fer

Subw00fer Snqʍ00ɟǝɹ

Rides:
    70cc NRG
    That was directed at the guy who managed to get the magnets on the wheel

4. kierran

kierran Active Member

I will take a picture next time I see him and show you guys I will also try linking a picture to the sigma speedo

5. rustyscooter

Rides:
    Aerox, Harley, Blade

I will bring the pop corn :D

6. rustyscooter

Rides:
    Aerox, Harley, Blade
    I there an original or proper speedo clock, for an Aerox, calibrated in MPH which goes up to about 70 mph

7. Subw00fer

Subw00fer Snqʍ00ɟǝɹ

Rides:
    70cc NRG
    I know there's a brand called Koso who do digital ones, not sure how fast they go up to

rustyscooter likes this.
  8. kierran

kierran Active Member

Koso go well over 100mph but they cost like £90 so not really a cheap option thing is we the koso one they pass a MOT

9. Jordan727

Jordan727 Member

grab your self one of those bicycle speedo's and a role of black electrical tape, tape the wired part to the front forks run the wire up the frame and body work, and then tape the magnetic bit to the wheel. Easy peasy :p may bugger the wheel balancing, but shouldnt cost a great deal to get it balanced again?

Just call me bodge ;)

10. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    Here's a thought. I'm presuming that your bike is less than 100cc, or at least started that way. Would the speedo from the 100cc model fit your bike and have the same rolling radius for the wheels and tyres, so that you don't need to have it recalibrated?

For example, the Peugeot Trekker 100 clock goes to 85 MPH, whereas the 50cc clock tops out at 60MPH, but they are physically the same shape and will be interchangeable.

Jordan727 and kierran like this.
  11. scootzmadness

scootzmadness Left the forum.

Rides:
    None.
    yes it will....

12. scootzmadness

Rides:
    None.
    the speedometer is not tested in a MOT. Hence why it will pass like that. out of the five MOT testers weve used for both bikes and cars and our vans never ever have they tested the speedometer. its not in the handbook either. i will ask my gf to clarify this later (MOT tester).

13. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    Please explain this. If I fitted the later Trekker 100cc clocks to my TKR, the rolling radius of the 50cc and 100c models is the same, so if I corrected the mileage on the new clock's odometer to match the old one, using a drill and the speedo cable, what's the problem?

The Koso speedo allows you to enter the circumference of the wheel and the number of sensor magnets, so it should at least be as accurate as the OEM speedo.

Is this some sort of 'Type Approval' situation that you are talking about Giles, because I'm not aware of anything like this. A trail bike with no speedo could pass an MOT.

14. scootzmadness

Rides:
    None.
    just asked the gf and she wasn't sure herself so weve both had a look in the book, they don't test the speedometer as theres no way of doing this full stop. not even on the rollers they use for brake testing. technically a bike doesn't even need one fitted but obviously its a good idea to have one. I guess this is another one of those ones.
    legally speaking you should have one and it should be working BUT for the MOT you don't need a working one. the way the KOSO ones work is through magnets and wheel diameters etc, you don't need a working speedometer for the MOT test but if you get pulled for speeding and say my speedos broken or not fitted then they can do you or give you a VDN (vehicle defect notice), a GPS speedo I more than good enough. actually more accurate than a standard speedometer.

15. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    @ Giles

Most Police forces work to 10% +2 before they start issuing fines for speeding.

16. hairyjim

hairyjim To be repaired, restored.i hope.

Rides:
    Got a gilera ice
    mate of mine had his motor took off him by plod for forensic Check once..they told him his speddo don't work but it don't affect any part of the cars legal ability to be used on the road.ive never had a speedo checked either