Speedfight 3 lc 50. Electrical issue

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Kevin Williams, Jul 20, 2022.

1. Kevin Williams

Kevin Williams New Member

Hi all,
    Well my youngest is turning 16 so it's time for a moped, this time I bought a good condition speedfight 3 lc 50cc. Its in good condition but a few gremlins have shown there heads

I apologise if this has been on here before, any help would be fantastic

Fuel gauge isn't working ( just flashing up and down on the dash)

Indicators work but someone has wired up there own relay

Indicator warning light on dash doesn't come on when indicators are on

Head lights don't work only the pass button

So I am wondering if the dash could be the problem for all the above issues, I have tested all wires, bulbs, cleaned every connection, and to be honest the garage is not the best place to be in this weather. I am also wondering if the indicator really is actually part of the dash system as I can't find a relay except for the bodge job someone has done. Any pointers or clues would be awesome, as the Haynes manual isnt really helping.
    Thanks in advance

2. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    Get yourself a Haynes manual to check out the wiring, it's not a problem to have an indicator relay fitted as some models have this in the regulator so it's expensive to replace.

3. Kevin Williams

I have the Haynes manual, found the cause of the headlights, fuel gauge. After cleaning every connection known to man kind, I went through everything again, and the yellow wire from the alternator was a bit dodgy and loose fitting. I have the indicators working through an after market relay, wired to the left hand switches, which was done when I bought it. My issue now is that the warning light for the indicators on the dashboard isn't working.
    Looking at the manual the purple wire from the switch goes to the dash and it states the relay is in there. It seriously has me scratching my head this one

4. Kevin Williams

The circled area is where the purple wire comes into the dash, the little square is labelled as the turn relay

Attached Files:

5. Kevin Williams

Indicator issue solved, the relay is part of the dash, changed the dash out for a cheap second hand one and it works perfect, milage has gone up by 9k mind but what can you do

MARSH likes this.