Speed fight 2 Spark

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Garren, Oct 15, 2016.

1. Garren

Garren Member

hello again guys.
    You have been very helpful so far so I decided to ask you all again.

Speed fight 2, last owner F**ked the last engine.(welded the clutch on, crank shafts was battered to high heaven)
    Looked for another crank and clutch buy that was fairly expensive so I put in engines and I found one, brilliant. Paid and sent same day.

Now, I fitted it, tested it and no spark.
    Put new plug, HT lead, stator(sane as original engine used) still no spark ???

The engine was slightly different in design. Being that the original engine was electric oil pump and this one was mechanical oil pump BUT placed not inside like many others but on the outside near were the top end starts.

Really confused, really stressed
    please help

2. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    retrace the wiring up buddy, check the stator is all wired correctly and you have good negative grounding to the bike / battery. possible the imobo has kicked in, so may need to use the red key , but saying that always double and triple check the wiring first.

you would have had to remove stator to get new crank in so thats a starter point, the stator wiring is all correct , then check the looms grounding points , engine grounding and the frame grounding.

pop the new ht lead off and try the old one see if that changes anything to

3. Garren

Garren Member

hi sorry mate I must of been unclear.

I looked for a new crank but it was expensive so I looked for a engine. Fitted the new engine but I have no spark. New stator, new cdi(non immobilised), new ht lead. It's a slightly different engine. Original engine was electric oil pump and the new one has a oil pump ran by the crank it's self. Not to be confused with the one that's internal and ran with a belt.

hope that clears it up
    thank you

4. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    did your put your old stator onto new engine ? thats a possible cause.

second is the new engine may not run with your old wiring loom , normaly when we replace a motor with a new second hand one we will also use the second hand motors wiring loom , if thats not possible we would then go about making up a loom to take the stator feed to the cdi and regulator/rectifier bypassing the factory loom that does that. its the best way other than a full rewire of the bike.

just run cabling to the reg/rect and cdi from the stator , then giving it a test fire up to see if all works, if motor runs then you can use existing looms to do the lights and likes

5. Garren

Garren Member

when it comes to wiring I am very nervous. Could you please explain a little further.
    Am I staying with the new stator ? or using the old one that came with this engine ?
    Also how would I rewire it ?
    I'm not asking step by step just a little more transparent
    many thanks

6. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    first off .

i would use the original stator that came with engine first, pop the stator cover and mageneto of the old motor , and the stator cover and magneto of the new motor. check they have the same wiring is the place to start with. stators are different, 6 pole - 8 pole - 11 pole , fixed ground - floating ground

best to use what came with motor than replacing with new. DO NOT add all the new bits at once ie a new ht lead a new stator a new regulators etc etc. add them one at a time. so to start with the new motor wants to have its original stator and coil. fit this to the scooter and try. if it fires up your ok to go and then swap the new HT lead /coil in. if the scooter then fails to start the problem lays with the new coil/ht lead.
    adding all new parts just makes it a lot more harder to find the fault causing problem.

if your nervous about a rewire i personaly would say get a electrical mechanic to do this for you buddy. it requires you making up a two or three lead wire harness to go from the stators connection plug directly to the regulator/rectifier on the bike. ( the stator feeds power to the regulator/rectifier and from here its routed to other parts of the bike, like ignition - lights - indicators and the likes) its not an easy thing to do .

7. Garren

Garren Member

done some researching. I found a engine that was for sale that's the same as the current engine I put in but running with the original stator I was running(4 wire)
    So I have put it all back together with the original stator and magneto, waiting on a new stater motor and go from there. Worst comes to worst. I'll sell this engine and buy another as I am not messing with electrics!
    thank you for you help

8. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    got a kickstart fitted to it buddy. you can test it starts up using the kickstarter.

sounds about right a 4 wire and a good call installing the old stator in. its a pain in the rear matching the correct stator these days some are AC others DC, then its if you got the right pole configuration ie a 6 pole or 8 pole.

the more poles a stator has the more stronger it is electrical power wise, so going from a 6 pole to a say 11 pole allows you to get a better charging effect to the battery but also run high power lighting like HID units and heated bar grips etc etc. just makes more electrical juice .
    most folks that buy a secondhander motor will try and get the full loom and reg/rectifer with it to, then replace the motor and loom together with the rectifier regulator.

another way to go is, dropping a 100cc speedfight motor into the 50cc frame and again swapping regulator rectifier and wiring loom.

9. Garren

Garren Member

right new starter in, still no bloody spark.

Update: I found another cdi which is also the oil pump control.
    Would this in fact be my problem ?
    I can't see how it would stop my stator for trying to light up the lights when on tick over.

cheers

10. Garren

Garren Member

right so after a day of getting no where and banging headache. I'm getting p*ssed off with it now.

I've gone through testing as much as my knowledge would alow.

The separate red and black wire from the stator chucks out a reading. Low but a reading when turning over the engine.
    There is again a low reading at the coil end of the wires. So what's happening ??

cheers

11. Garren

Garren Member

But also my lights don't light up when turning over the engine.

12. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    theres two types of stator for the speed fight. check this video below it shows you a wrong stator fitted to a speedy. you need to check the wire config from the plug to the stator plug.

also another video on no spark problems with a speedy he also mentions about the built in oil pump controler. this is part 2 of video you will want to watch part 1 also.

13. Garren

Garren Member

my engine came with a immobilised stator. The original one to the bike was non immobilised. I put in my non immobilised to the engine. And that's when I got nothing. Could my ignition put a source of no spark ?

14. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    possible, the speedy is just a pain with the imobo'd and non imobo'd variaton seems like they also went with a full change on the looms to and given a third stator loom thats the oil pump version its a ball ache.

you may wanna try contact that youtube video maker he has a shed load of speedy videos so could throw a better light onto whats going on.

15. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    Put the Speedy 2 stator and pickup into the Speedy 1 engine. it should fit, the mounting bolts are the same and you should get the lights and spark working. The wiring looms changed from the Speedy 1 to the Speedy 2. If you are using the Speedy 1 type stator and pickup, then you don't have the right signal going to the CDI as the CDI type was changed.