Sparkplug threads

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Nubsey, Oct 5, 2020.

1. Nubsey

Nubsey Member

Rides:
    Honda sky 50.
    The grandson has removed the sparkplug from his Jonway Madness 50cc. He said it was very hard to remove. We have now been unable replace the sparkplug. I suspect that the threads have now cross threaded. How hard is it to remove the cylinder head. I was thinking that I might be able to run a thread back up the hole and clean the threads. I have been looking for a 10mm backtap, but can only find one in the states and it would cot over £60 to get it here to the UK. Any ideas.

2. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    If it's the 4t engine just replace cylinder head, there not expensive new and plenty s/h !

Nubsey likes this.
  3. Nubsey

Nubsey Member

Rides:
    Honda sky 50.
    Yeah could be fun. Never done an over head cam before. Also a lot of work, but if needs must.
    Might try a retap first. Nothing lost if it fails, and we might just get away with it.

4. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    There not difficult to work on, theres timing marks so you can't get it wrong ! Get the Haynes manual on chinese scooters.

5. Nubsey

Nubsey Member

Rides:
    Honda sky 50.
    Already got one. Yes about £30 for a new head plus a gasket. That included the valves fitted and seated. Worth the extra 6 pounds for that, also save trying to find my valve compressor that I have not used for about 40 years.

MARSH likes this.