Smoke coming out of crack in manifold

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Junk-man, Dec 13, 2018.

1. Junk-man

Junk-man Member

Rides:
    Aprilia Mojito 125
    Hi everyone, just started my scooter after having tried to tweak the autochoke, and it was kind of stuttering when I tried to rev it.

I turned it off and noticed grey smoke coming out of a crack in the intake manifold (engine side). The crack looked kind like the manifold had melted along the fault line, but I'll have to double check that in the morning in better light.

Any ideas? Seems serious!

2. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Prognosis sounds bad... get some pics in the morning

3. Junk-man

Junk-man Member

Rides:
    Aprilia Mojito 125
    Well in better light I can see it's just cracked, not melted. I ran the engine for a few seconds - it runs fine, and the smoke comes out only after I cut the engine. Could it just be exhaust fumes? I tried to smell it but it was hard to tell. I'm not sure if exhaust coming back up the manifold after cutting the engine is normal?

4. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

No. Thats not normal.
    What bike is it?

5. Junk-man

Junk-man Member

Rides:
    Aprilia Mojito 125
    It's an Aprilia Mojito 125

6. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Does it have a sort of EGR valve type thing? Could be that doing it

7. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Please explain this bit?

"tried to tweak the autochoke"

scubabiker likes this.
  8. kp46

kp46 Member

Rides:
    YAMAHA AEROX
    could u senda photo?

9. Junk-man

Junk-man Member

Rides:
    Aprilia Mojito 125
    20181217_153205.jpg

Here's a pic, the smoke was quite uncooperative but you can see a bit to the right of the boot (it's coming out of a crack on the side that's out of view- the crack you can see on top only seems to be on the surface).

Stevep, I was trying to reduce the difference in idle speed between when the autochoke was engaged/vs when it was disengaged. When I would first start the bike it revved too high, I would have to hold it still with the brakes. But then after a minute or two it dropped to almost cutting out.

10. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Sounds like your pilot screw is wrong.
    And get a new intake manifold.
    Oh top tip.
    On installation, make sure the jubilee clip doesn't wedge the throttle open... I speak from experience there....

11. kp46

kp46 Member

Rides:
    YAMAHA AEROX
    that intake has certainly had it. Unfortunatly for you the torx secure screws are a pain without the bits.

12. Junk-man

Junk-man Member

Rides:
    Aprilia Mojito 125
    No probs there, I ordered the torx bit at the same time as the new manifold. What do we think about the smoke?

In response to scuba's question about the EGR valve, I don't know. It's a piaggio leader engine, I couldn't find any info about whether it has it. Do scooter engines typically have those?

13. kp46

kp46 Member

Rides:
    YAMAHA AEROX
    im not that familiar with these engines. but if the smoke comes out of intake then i would replace it and see how it runs then. update us when u put it on. 4 stokes have crankcase vents that go the the airfilter often to reduce emitions.

14. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Yeah, I mixed it up I was thinking of PCV and not EGR valve

15. Junk-man

Junk-man Member

Rides:
    Aprilia Mojito 125
    Well I changed the manifold and then re-tuned the fuel screw, seems to run ok now. Consensus seems to be the 'smoke' was exhaust and nothing to worry about

scubabiker likes this.
  16. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Good to hear.