Slight knocking noise coming from clutch end

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Ricky.H, May 1, 2016.

1. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    According to the Speedfight Workshop Manual, the small side of the gear has one thrust washer (shim). The large side of the gear has the wave washer and the other thrust washer (shim). I can't remember from my rebuild of my gearbox, are the thrust washers the same thickness?

2. Ricky.H

Ricky.H Member

Rides:
    Peugeot speedfight 2
    Yeah there all the same size and thickness I can get it to spin freely but as soon as I nip the gearbox bolts up it goes stiff.
    All the bearings are fine no play in them

3. Ricky.H

Ricky.H Member

Rides:
    Peugeot speedfight 2
    Ok so I stripped it all down again and tried a few different things the only thing that works is if I take the washer off the front and leave the wavey and normal 1 on the back it spins freely I know it's meant to be there but what would happen if I run it without the washer also just noticed there is a few mm difference in the gears my old 1 is on the right and the new 1 on the left

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 20, 2016
  4. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    I would contact the company you bought the replacement gear from and ask their advice if I were you.

5. Ricky.H

Ricky.H Member

Rides:
    Peugeot speedfight 2
    I got 2nd hand off ebay it must be off a different year model

6. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    The only advice I would offer is to try it with the wave washer behind the large gear and the shim in front of the small gear. The smaller gear transmits the larger load, so it makes sense to use the shim there and not the wave washer.

7. Ricky.H

Ricky.H Member

Rides:
    Peugeot speedfight 2
    Sorry to sound numb I'm a bit confused as to what you mean I have 3 washers in total 1 wave 2 normal this is the order they go on but the final drive shaft is slightly different to mine the gear is a few mm wider
    Mine is on the right and the new 1 on the left

Attached Files:

8. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    OK. If the problem is the final drive gear (the new one you have bought) then I think I may have mis-understood. The thicker gear is fouling the gearbox casing when you tighten the bolts up, is that the problem? If it is, then the only solution is to get another final drive axle.

9. Ricky.H

Ricky.H Member

Rides:
    Peugeot speedfight 2
    Yeah that's it I've just ordered another 1 hopefully this 1 will fit haha I'll find out Tuesday when it comes and you was right with the bearing size thanks for that :)

10. Ricky.H

Ricky.H Member

Rides:
    Peugeot speedfight 2
    Ok so a little update I got the original gear pressed off and onto the new shaft put new bearing in rebuilt the gearbox and all is good it moves nice and free now :) all I need now is a new clutch pulley but can't find 1 anywhere can anyone help me with where I can get 1 thanks

11. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

12. Ricky.H

Ricky.H Member

Rides:
    Peugeot speedfight 2
    I've got the clutch i need the pulley where the belt goes

Attached Files:

13. Ricky.H

Ricky.H Member

Rides:
    Peugeot speedfight 2
    Ok so I go to check everything over and clean only up a bit as I moved the front wheel I noticed a slight movement so I lift the front end up to check the wheel and end up finding this

Attached Files:

14. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    Yikes! That is one seriously dangerous front wheel.

15. Ricky.H

Ricky.H Member

Rides:
    Peugeot speedfight 2
    Yep lol new hub and new speedo drive

16. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    I must admit when I rebuilt my son's knackered TKR as the Speedtrek, I automatically changed the front and rear wheel bearings when I refurbished the wheels from the original white to dark metallic grey. The only bearings I didn't change on the bike were the steering head bearings as, they were fine.

17. Ricky.H

Ricky.H Member

Rides:
    Peugeot speedfight 2
    I need to replace the bottom 1s of the steering as there seams to be some missing and goes a little stiff at a certain point

Attached Files:

18. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    Yap, that's another MOT fail staring you in the face. Steering bearings on Speedfights live a hard life, as the single front fork can increase the load in turns.

Unfortunately, you appear to have inherited a bit of a shed of a bike, much like I did, when my son gave it the TKR back. When I say that I rebuilt the bke, I actually meant it, as the TKR was a real mess when he gave it me back. I reckon that I spent about £300-400 to get the bike back to the standard that it is now, inclusing engine parts, new bodywork, paint, badges and decals.

I suppose that I could have just written the bike off, but I wanted to show my son what careful repair and restoration can achieve. He won't be getting his arse anywhere near my bike now that it's finished though.

19. Ricky.H

Ricky.H Member

Rides:
    Peugeot speedfight 2
    Haha yeah I've basically done the same more or less rebuilt it my plan is to get it on the road use it for a bit and sell it to get something with a better and more reliable engine

20. Ricky.H

Ricky.H Member

Rides:
    Peugeot speedfight 2
    Hi guys can anyone help me as I'm looking for a steering spacer as mine is snapped

Attached Files: