Sky Blowing at Manifold

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Del Sky, May 13, 2019.

1. Damjan

Damjan Active Member

Rides:
    Baotian Falcon 50R
    IN this picture above there is obviosly a restrictor you can see it, also this carb is small its 14 or 12mm.

Del Sky likes this.
  2. Del Sky

Del Sky Active Member

Rides:
    A "Chinese Thing"
    I think these little things have a 12mm Dellorto carb.

3. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Yeah. That's what I was saying.
    From the factory the exhaust doesn't have a restriction, but that picture you posted has one.

4. Del Sky

Del Sky Active Member

Rides:
    A "Chinese Thing"
    Do you mean in this picture ?......not sure I know what you mean by a restriction.....this photo shows it choked up with Gungum…..or is the throat of the pipe restricted, eg too narrow ?.....

Attached Files:

5. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Yeah it's the throat is too narrow, you can see it there, a sort of pipe within the pipe.

Del Sky likes this.
  6. Del Sky

Del Sky Active Member

Rides:
    A "Chinese Thing"
    NOW I understand......so this old girl has never been de-restricted...….

Attached Files:

7. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Never use gungumm as a gasket replacement. It's only meant to be outside of a joint, never on the inside like your photo.
    If you have an exhaust with a catalytic converter, any form of exhaust paste/sealer can break off and go inside, jam against the cat and superheat it, burning it through. Then the pipe is shot.

Del Sky likes this.
  8. Del Sky

Del Sky Active Member

Rides:
    A "Chinese Thing"
    Yes, I found that out....the correct gasket should be here tomorrow, by which time the caustic soda should have done it's job......we live and learn....

9. Del Sky

Del Sky Active Member

Rides:
    A "Chinese Thing"
    Just about to take the exhaust off again, and just wondering what that square bit is ? where the pipe bends.....could it be another sort of restrictor ? I have read that some of these exhaust systems have restrictors inside them, so that you can't get to them, to stop kids from de-ristricting them...

Attached Files:

10. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Guess it's a sort of restriction,
    Is it an aftermarket exhaust?

The sfx (same engine) is like 6hp from new, the exhaust on them doesn't have a restriction.

Del Sky likes this.
  11. Del Sky

Del Sky Active Member

Rides:
    A "Chinese Thing"
    Not sure if it original exhaust or not.....it does have Honda stamped on it.

12. Del Sky

Del Sky Active Member

Rides:
    A "Chinese Thing"
    Success !!…...after about five hours soaking in caustic soda, then washing through with a hosepipe, the blockage has gone.....there must be about 2" of solidified carbon flakes in the bottom of this bucket.....I was going to do it again, but the old girl is up and running, just waiting for the exhaust gasket now….

Attached Files:

scubabiker likes this.