Scuba's not the only one with a little bike :)

Discussion in 'Bike Chat' started by Stevep, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    My Dad had one of these. I remember the 'clockwork' kickstarter well. You basically had to wind up the kickstarter to preload the spring, then pull the back brake in to get it to turn the engine over. My Dad's was orange in colour and did 27MPH flat out downhill with your chin on the clock.

2. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Hey:) Merlins back, how you doing buddy? Hows the shoulder?

3. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    Hi Steve. My shoulder isn't great at the moment and I'm likely to be referred to a rheumatologist, as I'm having some pain issues with my hips. Chin up though, eh?

I'm glad you are doing a restoration job on this Express (is it the NC-50?) as a tuning job just wouldn't work on this bike. There was also a later version that had leg shields.

My sister was clocked by a police car on one of these and she was pulled over for alleged speeding. She took her helmet off, threw it at the copper and said "OK then, you ride the bike, I'll ride in your car and if I see over 30 on your speedo, then you can book me!". Needless to say the copper backed off.

4. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Not a full restoration as such, just a bloody good clean up. The rims have got some minor rust showing through, but for the age it's nothing. I'm still wondering whether it's worth having them re-chromed, seeing as it'll never see the road whilst I own it. It may end up living in the back bedroom for the next 5 years before I let it go:rolleyes:

5. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    Well, if you ever decide to let it go, please let me know first, as I'd like to buy it and surprise my Dad. :)

6. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Finally got round to shotblasting the side case yesterday, also did the exhaust heat shield. All nice and clean now ready for painting. Got the colour matched pretty well in enamel.
    That means I can get things moved on again at last.

7. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

AH NUTS!!!:mad:

IMG_20160502_172231.jpg

8. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Good job I decided to have the barrel off for cleaning properly, top piston ring isn't opening up due to the old 2 stroke oil becoming a but glue like.

Now ain't that ripe for opening up

IMG_20160502_172159.jpg

9. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    That's more like archeology than restoration...

Mark Emerson Trentham likes this.
  10. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Yeah, agreed, but.........do I open it up, or leave it..............
    It would be nice, and probably a bit safer for whoever, if it did a bit more than 27mph as standard, without the blatantly obvious mods done to it.
    I don't mean flying down the road at stupid speeds like the others I've done, just enough for it to plod along without getting shoved into the gutter

11. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    I never found out if the NC50 was restricted at all in any way, Steve. It may have a restriction washer in the exhaust or just have really conservative port timing. I'll see what I can find out.

12. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
  13. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Now ain't that strange, I was just looking at that:D
    But what a way to ruin the look of the exhaust.

14. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    I would go for modding an old Technigas, Leo Vince or similar tuned pipe and weld it onto the Honda header. Then I'd try uprating the carb and see what some re-jetting can bring to the party. The Honda pipe comes out in around the right place for an expansion box style pipe.

15. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

I'm wondering about the technigas silent pro actually..........

upload_2016-5-2_21-52-18.jpeg upload_2016-5-2_21-52-18.jpeg

16. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    Yeah, that or the Leo Vince Sito which is a similar pipe. That has plan written all over it. :D

17. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

OCD monkey's come out to play:rolleyes:

IMG_20160503_110626.jpg

18. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

i would open that exhaust port up, its not going to give a huge boost in power, but its probably going to run better, smoother and maybe even get more mpg...

19. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

What..........120mpg instead of the standard 100mpg:D

20. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

that's better:)

IMG_20160503_160829.jpg IMG_20160503_160852.jpg