Scooter safety checks

Discussion in 'Scooter Guides' started by wobbly_trials, Feb 27, 2009.

1. wobbly_trials

wobbly_trials Active Member

Rides:
    RD350, SR125, ICE125
    These checks should be performed at least once a week:

Tyres:

• Tyres should be inflated to the TYRE manufacturer’s recommended pressure (or at very least to your scooter manufacturer’s recommended pressure).
    • Tyres should have at least 1mm of tread (above 50cc) and at least tread showing on any motorcycle below 50cc (I would recommend replacing tyres before they get below 1.5mm as the water dissipation is severely reduced on excessively worn tyres)
    • Tyres must not have cuts or cracks in the sidewall and no excessive damage to the tread face

Brakes:

• Both front and rear brake levers should not be able to move all the way to the Handlebar
    • Brake pads should be replaced if there is less than 1mm of friction material on them as they tend to start breaking up after this
    • Brake fluid should be clean and not contaminated with water (replace annually)
    • Brake discs should not have excessive wear (most scooters have a minimum disc thickness of 3mm), Excessively thin discs can crack and cause the wheel to lock up
    • Brakes should be able to stop the bike effectively
    • Both front and rear brakes should not "drag" or stick on, no matter how slight as they will only get worse and eventually either lock up or not work alltogether.

Throttle cable:

• Your throttle cable should be well lubricated
    • It should close quickly (snap shut)
    • It should not be frayed
    • It should have around 5mm of slack on the twistgrip (or at least a couple off millimetres in the cable it’s self) this is to ensure the throttle closes properly

Suspension:

• Should operate without excessive play (left/right movement in the rear end and rocking in the forks)
    • Should have effective damping, not pogo-stick like properties
    • Should not show any oil leaks

Steering:

• Should move freely
    • The bike should track straight and not want to veer off one way (some bikes which use the area51 or speedfight style front swing-arm setup sometimes do have slight tendancies to pull one way, this is normal)
    • Should not be obstructed by cables/hoses etc…
    • Should have no play in the headstock (steering head) bearings.

Lights:
    • Should be clearly visible (clean and pointing in the right direction)
    • Should be fully operational (indicators should all work and flash, brake lights should operate from both levers)
    • Should be the correct colour (white bulbs where orange or red should be fitted or broken lenses can cause some drivers to think you are coming towards them)

Fluid Levels:
    • Oil and water levels should be above the minimum mark
    • Always run antifreeze

Air-cooled engines:

• Ensure cooling fan is in good condition and that all cooling ducts are attached to the engine properly and free from dirt build-ups

If anyone would like anything adding to this then post it and i will add it to the list.

2. safekyle

safekyle New Member

Rides:
    Gilera runner 172
    Water Coolant

- Should well over the min mark and under the max.
    - Have antifreeze in on the colder months at around 1:3 AF:Distilled water

Two Stroke

- Enough to go wherever your going.

My two pennies :)

3. wobbly_trials

Rides:
    RD350, SR125, ICE125
    not really safety but added, i suppose oil could be classed as safety.

4. kyle1b1

kyle1b1 New Member

i would say say safty.

could be blasting down a hesfty road run out of oil locks up backend comes swinging road and go for a nice slide down the road

5. Vesta

Vesta New Member

Cooling:
    On air cooling models make sure the air cooling covers are tight together and on the cases, should be no free play at all, if there is a long trip will put your scooter in serious danger of seizure.

6. wobbly_trials

Rides:
    RD350, SR125, ICE125
    re-worded and added.

7. px166bajaj

px166bajaj Active Member

Check ALL your lights and indicators every time you set off.

Not a bike thing, but remember to do up your helmet strap. I've forgotten a few times. Might as well not bother with a helmet if your strap's undone.

8. Vesta

Vesta New Member

How about make sure your wearing a proper helmet and not one you bought off ebay for a score :banana:

9. kyle1b1

kyle1b1 New Member

and apart from being a risk to your self is illegal to not have it straped up

10. RY4N172

RY4N172 New Member

yeah my mate got done for that ^^ kyle

11. kyle1b1

kyle1b1 New Member

12. Purplepill

Purplepill Member

To add to the brakes bit, make sure there not sticking and your front wheel spins fairly freely, my brake pistons got worse and worse until I ended up in a 30mph lowside. dragging brakes are dangerous, seriously dragging brakes are lethal

13. wobbly_trials

Rides:
    RD350, SR125, ICE125
    Added apart from the helmet one as i'm going to do a safety clothing guide/warning in the near future.

14. nibbles

nibbles Active Member

should hopefully stop me killin ma self lol nice guide m8