Scooter Plastics..."Mock" Chrome

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by Del Sky, May 24, 2020.

1. Del Sky

Del Sky Active Member

Rides:
    A "Chinese Thing"
    Anyone had any dealings with what I call "mock" chrome ?......the tip of the front mudguard on this old girl is in very poor order, just wondering how I can get it off, and get back to the plastic underneath, so that I can paint it.....the only other option is to remove it completely, but don't really want to do that......

Attached Files:

2. Ethan Thompson

Ethan Thompson FoxyT

Rides:
    Speedfight 2 100cc
    Wow looks like a lexmoto tommy I had a few years back, great fun scooter felt like riding a boat, if it feels metal try a soft wire brush or metal scouring pad like brillo. with some fairy liquid and should come up a treat. If its sticky plastic try a heat gun or hair dryer if needed and try to scrape the bubbles out with a squeegee if you cant get them out pop em with a pin again. Cant really see what material it is. Ive used wire brushes on chrome vandium exhausts in the past with some fairy liquid water mix in a spray bottle and seemed to work a treat getting rid of surface rust

Del Sky likes this.
  3. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Your only option with this plastic chrome stuff is a new wrap. That's what it is, it's a chrome wrap. That's if it's started to peel anyway...

Ethan Thompson and Del Sky like this.
  4. Del Sky

Del Sky Active Member

Rides:
    A "Chinese Thing"
    Thanks for the replies....I did wonder about a heat gun, it's beyond redemptiom I'm afraid, it's not rust, just very badly scratched and coming off in places....presumably it's stuck on in some way......will try heat gun in the morning......

Attached Files:

Ethan Thompson likes this.
  5. Ethan Thompson

Ethan Thompson FoxyT

Rides:
    Speedfight 2 100cc
    The second picture is alot better, now I can see it clearly I dont think a heatgun will put it right, i thought i seen bubbles in the first picture, the wrap wont stretch while its fused to the plastic.if you type in chrome dc fix on ebay you will get some new wrap pretty cheap, ive used dc fix in the past and it looks good if you apply it with the kit £5 for the kit and around the same for the wrap, I use a hairdryer to put it on and the plastic squeegee to smooth it out, the dc fix takes 24 hours to bond but looks great and you can take it off if you want at any time with the hairdryer

Del Sky likes this.
  6. Del Sky

Del Sky Active Member

Rides:
    A "Chinese Thing"
    Tried to remove the chrome, with a hot air gun, to no avail.....it just starts to melt the plastic.....luckily the mudguard is in two bits, so have managed to completely remove it....it don't look too bad, just got order some edging trim......

Attached Files: