Respraying SYM DD50 & Other Questions

Discussion in 'Visual Modifications' started by Andyjl, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Andyjl

Andyjl New Member

Rides:
    Sym DD50
    Hi Guys,

I'm thinking of respraying my moped, it is a SYM DD50.

I heard if I respray it black, all the scratches and imperfections will show much easier. Is this true? Also, I am quite worried about making the bike look like crap. Does anyone have any kind of guide?

This is my first scooter, would I be wasting my time? Is it possible to buy full body / large decals for a ped? Could be an alternative to spraying it. I just wana pimp it out a little.

Also- My speedo randomly stopped working this morning, any idea what it could be?

My top speed is about 40-45 mph on flat, does this indicate it is de restricted? could be be de restricted further?

Thanks, :)

2. andrewtayloruk

andrewtayloruk New Member

I don't have a guide but will agree with black being a bit of a bastard in terms of showing imperfections, as with anything prep is key, the more time you spend preparing the bodywork the better it will look. You want to fill and sand out any imperfections, using wet and dry, then make sure there is no grease or dirt on your plastic.

Once you've done that you want to prime then start adding your layers of colour, i find that you can get ok ish results with some cans but it's really important to keep your distance from the item you're spraying and to do lots of thin coats rather than trying to lay it on too thick.

I usually do about 6 coats, leaving plenty of drying time between. Once you've done that and left it to dry for a couple of days go over it with some clear lacquer, this is a bit of a bitch and is easy to mess up, again don't try and rush it, do a really thin coat then go over that with a few more thin coats. Once it's dry you want to buff it. I've got a compressor and heat lamps in my garage which help me get a nice finish but you can get nice results if you just take your time.

As for decals, you can buy large decals and could even get the whole thing wrapped but for the cost of getting that done properly you could probably pay for a cheap respray.

To be honest if it's not that bad i'd ride it as is for a bit as it's probably going to get a few knocks and scratches being your first bike.

Hope that helps in some way.

3. Andyjl

Andyjl New Member

Rides:
    Sym DD50
    Thanks for the reply-

I guess it is going to be hard for me to respray it as I use my ped at least twice a day, to and from work. So leaving it for a few days to dry will be a bit difficult.

To be honest - its already pretty scratched up, fell off it a couple of times in the wet, chopped up the plastic a bit but nothing I cant sand down.

If I do decide to go ahead and respray it, I will definately use your advice. - Thank you.

4. Gamble

Gamble Member

Have a read through the rattle can respray guide uploaded on here:

http://www.scootershack.co.uk/cansprayguide.html

If you're using your scoot at least twice a day then a friend started as soon as he got back on Friday, we were in the garage until around 2 messing around with the heaters blasting out. Personally I like to leave the panels for as long as possible however he was back out Sunday and ready for work on Monday.

If you take care with the prep and don't try to rush the paint you should get a reasonable finish, if you're going to rush and just bodge it I wouldn't bother as it normally ends up becoming more of an eye sore than before.

Best of luck and get some pictures up if you go through with it. :thumbsup:

5. 30jon30

30jon30 New Member

Hi, A friend got me 2 cans of 2 pack paint which is what professionals use and you dont have to use laquer when you have finished with your colour ,but you have to wear a proper mask as i think the paint contains cyanide! also use plastic primer, you will need 3 cans of colour and 2 cans of primer for a scooter size bike costing £14 per can of colour and £10 per can of primer so will cost you around £62 for paint plus filler and wet and dry etc so make sure its all prepared well :) :) before spraying

6. Andyjl

Andyjl New Member

Rides:
    Sym DD50
    I heard from another friend you can get "filler primer" which will fill in the imperfections and scratches. How effective is this?

Gamble- Thanks for the link, and if I go through with it I will upload some pictures!

30jon30- How much does 2pack paint cost?

7. Andyjl

Andyjl New Member

Rides:
    Sym DD50
    -Mod, Sorry I posted in wrong section, thanks for moving!

8. 30jon30

30jon30 New Member

Hi, £14 per can mixed any colour you like, as my bike was what i would call mustard yellow i went for Ford Signal yellow to brighten it up a bit, cheers jon

9. Andyjl

Andyjl New Member

Rides:
    Sym DD50
    Hi guys,

[​IMG]

That's my scooter, as you can see its not the best and nothing flashy, (ignore the duct tape near the rear lights, isnt meant to be there) would it be worth respraying as i'm just gonna run it into the ground untill i get a 125 anyway?

Is there any modifications I could easily do to it?

Also, there is a platform for the top box attached to it, but the indicators are attached to it too, any way I can take it off but still have a way to mount the indicators?

Sorry about all these questions - My wheels are quite rusty and Don't look too great, what would be the best way to repaint them? And is it possible to repaint my footwell?

Thanks

10. NRG_NG6

NRG_NG6 New Member

For your footwell what colour was u thinking? myn went grey and i wanted them black again, i was gonna buy back-to-black but found out using some sunflower oil mixe diwht water scrubbed on with a sponge make them a nice shiney black, although be careful cause it is slippy, which is why im buying a rubber matt for myn.

Good luck.

11. Gamble

Gamble Member

Honestly, not much point. These scooters don't really fetch a great deal in what ever condition they're in, unless you really want to do it, I wouldn't personally bother.

It'll serve its purpose and then you'll move onto something bigger & better. :good:

12. Andyjl

Andyjl New Member

Rides:
    Sym DD50
    After a touch of photoshop I have made it look like:

[​IMG]

Would it be difficult to acheive this look?

@gamble yeah I thought that, its just gonna get ran into the ground, but hell, might keep me occupied.

@NRG Something like that ^ picture, black preferably, I tried back to black on it, and it doesnt really do a lot.

13. NRG_NG6

NRG_NG6 New Member

looks nice, iv never actually used back to black so i wouldnt know how good it is tbh, put a but of cooking oil on it, in an inconspicuous place and see if it stays black after a couple of hours, if it does its worked.. i thought it just went black cause i wet it so i left it and that was a week ago, it still looks like wet shiny black, but i like the look its better than grey/worn out look.

14. Andyjl

Andyjl New Member

Rides:
    Sym DD50
    @NRG Would regular cooking oil work? I'll try that tonight! Strange.