Removing variator washer - step by step guide -

Discussion in 'Newbie Scooter Tuning' started by Tins81, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Tins81

Tins81 Member

Rides:
    Yamaha Aerox SP55
    I've just removed the variator washer. I've taken photos step by step so if anybody else wants to have a go it should be pretty straight forward.
    The moped is an Yamaha Aerox 2013. The only tools I've used are a variator locking tool (around £7 PedParts) a t30 star like screw head to remove the bolts from the case. Also a 17mm socket for removing the nut.
    image.jpg image.jpg

Attached Files:

2. astro77

astro77 Active Member

Nice one :) wow you can see where the belts only been able to run up halfway of the variator face, just shows how restrictive that pesky little washer is. Enjoy your new speed lol :D

3. Tins81

Tins81 Member

Rides:
    Yamaha Aerox SP55
    I've just come back from taking my moped out for a spin. The improvement is great. The moped gets to 30mph much quicker and whilst there doesn't seem to be revving like mad. I'm hoping this will be better for my mpg :)
    The top speed I got was just over 40mph on a nice flat straight. That's a 10mph increase but the most noticeable is how much better it feels to just do around 35mph in a 30 and keep up with the traffic.

Stig and astro77 like this.
  4. Tins81

Tins81 Member

Rides:
    Yamaha Aerox SP55
    I've just got to work after a great run (full throttle virtually all the way). When I slowed down and approached the car park my moped wasn't ticking over so good. It then spluttered and the engine turned off. I gave it a minute an restarted the moped. It didn't start easy and after a second turned off again...
    Could this be a result if removing the restrictor out of the variator? Do I need to upjet a few sizes?

5. astro77

astro77 Active Member

I doubt it its probably just coincidental first try cleaning the carb and a new plug first, if you wanted to you could go up a couple of jet sizes, just to put your own mind at rest, and being a little rich won't hurt anyways :)

6. Tins81

Tins81 Member

Rides:
    Yamaha Aerox SP55
    Well after a 9 hour shift at work my moped started first time. I wa impressed and relieved as the temperature hasn't risen much over freezing all day and we'd had snow and sleet all day.
    Going down the country lanes the moped was doing 40mph no problem and I was beginning to think the problems from the morning were just a one off.
    As I entered the town and slowed down with traffic the ticking over of the engine started playing up. It wasn't its revving little two stroke noise. Kind of like if I had a manual choke and left it on... I approached a roundabout and stopped for a moment. By this time it was getting worse and when I pulled away it really struggled and took a moment before the revs increased and it moved off. Once I got home I put the moped on its stands and left the engine running as I opened the gate. Within a second or two the engine spluttered and died.
    I tried to rule out all possibilities and the main one in my head was the washer I'd removed from the variator. I decided to open my moped up and put it back in.
    I drove for around 10 miles down country lanes and when I stopped the bike sounded much better. It was ticking over like it should have been :) I stopped by at a petrol station and went home. Once at home I left the engine on for a moment and it just ticked over nicely :)
    I've no idea what was wrong as I'm not that technical but all I know is that by putting the washer back has solve the problem :)
    So let this be a lesson to other people with a factory standard Aerox thinkin about doing a restriction on the cheap. Don't just remove the washer but get the jets increased and rollers too.

7. astro77

astro77 Active Member

The main jet has nothing to do with the tickover it only effects full throttle, and you only change the rollers for a sports exhaust because the power is shifted up in the rev range

8. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

sounds like your autochoke is playing up to me, but what do i know

9. Tins81

Tins81 Member

Rides:
    Yamaha Aerox SP55
    I've got it all sorted now :) It's been damn cold over here latel in the north of England. I leave at 5am and the temperature has been below freezing and it's been very damp.
    I took my moped to the garage and they said it was common of Yamaha Aerox's in cold weather. The carburettor ice cold and turning the fuel icy. They recommended Silkolene Pro FST by Fuchs.
    It's been amazing. I've added just 1% to a full tank and its cleaned out my carburettor. Now even on ice cold mornings my moped ticks over great on idle and I've not had a single problem.
    I'd highly recommend it to anybody :)

image.jpg

10. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

i live in norway and work in a bike shop and have not heard of that problem

Burridge and andy-pp like this.