Removing rusty old rounded exhaust flange bolts

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Vesta, May 12, 2009.

1. Vesta

Vesta New Member

oh yeah, cant angle grind it before anyone suggests that

but seriously i want to get on with my sonic but cant get the old exhaust off it cos the 2 bolts onto the flange are rusted out there arse, socket chewed them in no time at all :(

anyone got any tips to removing it? had a go with mole grips but cant clamp it well enough

2. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn Administrator Staff Member

Rides:
    et2 monster
    do you wanna keep the pipe? if no then remove the p[ipe (cvut it wherever you can) then remove the barrel and sort the studs.

if yes your gonna have to get intricate or take the rengine out. ether way its not gonna be easy. this is why i use copper nuts on my exhausts... there 30p and save all this fucking about

3. Vesta

Vesta New Member

Engines out pal, i would rather keep the exhaust too.

Its a minerelli too so the pipe is covering one of the bolts :mad:

4. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    well,, theres not much else you can do... i cant explain how to remove a fucked nut wihtout seing it....without cutting/breaking somthing its not possible... buy decent sockets and it wont happen.. they snap befor they round off... or ask somone with a clue to come an sort the nut. its a pritty simple thing if the engines out

5. nrgandy

nrgandy New Member

wasnt down to shit tools tbh realy rusty as fook and vesta chop the pipe its shit anyways

6. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    if its that bad get it REAL hot then hammer a 9mm or 11/32" socket on there (wichever fits better) should give it enough purchace to get it off.... if not you have to simply chissel it off and deal with the broken stud afterwards

7. Vesta

Vesta New Member

might have to source a replacement kit then, thanks for the help graham and andy i need to keep the pipe :(

8. Stig

Stig Well-Known Member

Rides:
    EXUP1000
    couldn't you get a dremmel in with a cutting disc?...just cut the side off the nut to release the pressure on the threads. I did this on the exhaust studs of the wife mini...took ages coz it was all the way up in the exhaust tunnel, but saved the flange and stud :cool:

9. nrgandy

nrgandy New Member

yeah so get your arse down to the shop or look on ebay and get a dremel and not no cheap ass copy

10. Vesta

Vesta New Member

got the exhaust off, the 9mm idea worked a treat minor on the one bolt i could reach (it being a mina) but that bolt just snapped. :(

the second one was chizled off

considering just replacing the cylinder with a 70cc.. (but if i wanted to do that there was no point buying the rox bits :mad:)

11. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    can still get the stud out.... only the exposed bit rusts usually so if its flat to the face of the flange itsd an easy removal... drill a small hole in the middle, wind in a stud extractor and your away.

12. Vesta

Vesta New Member

just attempted mate, and cheap drill bits snapped in both holes :mad:

local breaker sorted me with a second hand piston and cylinder for 20 quid tho off to pick up now

:D

13. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    even cheap bits drill old bolts. me thinks you pushed to hard and didnt centrepunch where you wanted the hole.

ah well, know for next time

14. Vesta

Vesta New Member

Punched it like must have pushed too hard

picked up cylinder piston head some hoses and a liquid cooled front grill for my bike for 25 squid well chuffed

then the gaskets were 11 quid not chuffed