Reminder to all UK riders

Discussion in 'Scooter Related News' started by px166bajaj, Jan 11, 2009.

1. px166bajaj

px166bajaj Active Member

Check the date on your driving licence. They used to run out on your 70th birthday, but the DVLA have sneakily added a cutoff date (on the credit card bit) which means your licence could have run out if you get stopped for something else, which means another way for them to get money out of you.

You may know already, but it's worth having a look.

SKIDMARK and Xylon like this.
  2. shiny red

shiny red New Member

this country is all about having your money ?why they dont just have it all and just give us pocket money :msn1: oh they do already my bad :rtfm:

technodimwit and Scazzney like this.
  3. lukeyboixrace

lukeyboixrace Member

WTFF

just read mine

full driving license

valid from 15-04-08

valid to 04-09-16

seriously....i've got a license that's only valid for 7 years? WTF!!

4. kyle1b1

kyle1b1 New Member

mine runs out day before my 70th birthday

5. Sh0x

Sh0x New Member

wtf you sure about this? Or is it related to ID, eg you need to update it?

You sure this isnt just provisionals?

6. lukeyboixrace

lukeyboixrace Member

mines a full driving licence...and i've apparently got to renew in 7 years from now =/

7. px166bajaj

px166bajaj Active Member

Ive had a full bike licence since 1980. Since I updated to the two part licence (when I moved house) it runs out in 2013.

Check yours

8. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn Administrator Staff Member

Rides:
    et2 monster
    full photocard licences have a 7 year life due to likeness issues with the picture... same as a passport, it has a photo, it has to be a current photo

9. px166bajaj

px166bajaj Active Member

I guessed it wa something to do with the pic, but don't get caught out by it. It could make a little problem worse at the side of the road.

10. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn Administrator Staff Member

Rides:
    et2 monster
    notice when its tax evasion or anything they can claim kmoney for its ALL over the radio (did you know the government pay for more radio advertising than any company) but when its sommin they DONT tell you that mnakes them money....

WANKERS cheers for the info px ;)

11. px166bajaj

px166bajaj Active Member

You're welcome. Fuck the Government. Don't give them anything you don't have to. ;)

12. Forde

Forde Member

seriously you thought your licence didnt need renewed till you were 70

so you thought you could get your licence at 16 and rock around til you were 70 with the same pic on it..... L.O.L.

my licence needs renewed every 10 years. i got it on 04 at 16 as a provisional and it now says on my full licence that it runs out in 2014. im in n. ireland though maybe its 7 years in england. i thought it was common knowledge that licences needed periodically renewed like all other photo i.ds, what did you think all the expiry dates in the second column on the back were for....

13. Forde

Forde Member

Re:

if you got it as a provisonal in 2006 and used it as provisional until you passed your test in 2008 then its valid for 10 years like my n.i licence as sending off your provisional to get it turned into a full licence doesnt count as renewing it.

14. Andyrad

Andyrad New Member

Rides:
    Sym DD50
    Hi
    Been through this recently.
    Bought a new car, needed to produce licence. The salesman pointed out there was only about two months to go before needing renewal.
    The DVLA do send a reminder about a month before though so it shouldn't actually expire without you noticing (unless you have a flatmate who habitually burns your post).

15. Martin_ov_leeds

Martin_ov_leeds New Member

Rides:
    Runner 172
    If this is due to likeness of the photo then they should of asked me for a new photo when i re applied for my lisence after 6 years.. i got banned in 2004.. ban was up in 2005 but didnt re apply for it till back end of 2009 so its me when i was 16/17 the picture lol

16. bertie

bertie Active Member

Rides:
    '93 Skipper LX125
    Makes sense really.. A 70yr old with a picture on his card from when he was 17yrs old just wouldnt be buyable proof of ID, like with passports. I had to re-new my provisional because I served a 6month ban.. My new card was issued in 2010 and is valid untill 2020 so its every 10 years.

I dont agree with them being quiet about it.. Major changes like this should be nationally advertised, every single living person with a UK license should have a letter sent to them pointing out the new changes.

Lets just hope you only have to re-new the photo on the card.. And not have to take your test all over again.. Otherwise its just pointless.

17. sc00terboy69

sc00terboy69 New Member

Rides:
    dragster+lambretta
    worst thing is it costs £20
    con after you paid £50 inthe first place for the provisional

18. Admiwal Wabbit

Admiwal Wabbit Member

Not just riders either, this is the same with car drivers (obviously) any driving licence.

19. Alex Barnes

Alex Barnes Active Member

as if only just noticed i was reading the bit on that back what cunts n mines from 13/03/12 to 12/03/22

20. supraking

supraking Well-Known Member

Rides:
    Honda MSX125
    just renewed mine, 25 quid if you do it at a post office, although it did only take 3 days to come back. bonus as i was waiting to get it back before booking my cbt :)