Recommissioning '00 Mbk Booster Ng

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Irish Booster Ng, Aug 29, 2021.

1. Irish Booster Ng

Irish Booster Ng New Member

Hi lads, looking for some advice on recommissioning a scooter.

I bought a 2000 Mbk Booster Ng(a/c minarelli vertical) last week that's been sitting a number of years (dunno when it was last started, but the last tax disc is from '14)

Very little miles on it,3800km and has been dry stored all along.its in reasonable condition for its age bodywise apart from a few scuffs and 1 small crack(paint on fork lowers gone to crap,levers are fuzzed up and a fair bit of surface rust on the exhaust and restriction elbow present)chrome on the fork stanchions is perfect,still has the original tyres and grips etc so I'm 99% it's a genuine low mileage scooter.

It turns over freely on the button and has spark.

My question here for more experienced heads is how to safely go about getting it running again?

Plan is to drain the old fuel and oil,check the oil feed is working,clean the carb(I've only spray carb cleaner here, trying not to take anything off if possible for the moment)fresh fuel and oil and try starting it.

This sound about right?
    I've a full gasket set on the way,full set of seals too(have to be perished at this stage) along with a throttle cable as it's seized but as I said I'm trying not to open up the engine just yet.

Am I likely to damage bearings/seals etc if it does run for me?
    Any tips(I've heard of putting some 2t in the bore beforehand for lubricant,any thoughts?)

I downloaded a workshop manual and if I'd the tools,space and time I'd have a go at replacing the seals and bearing etc but for the price I paid for it,if it runs I'm inclined to drive it till a seal or whatever goes then see about rebuilding it(with a big bore kit,because if I'm opening it up,why not?!?)

Any thoughts/tips/advice appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
    Irish Booster

2. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Check the compression with a tester, the rings could be stuck in the piston slots due to not being used which means they won't expand to cause a good seal against the cylinder.
    The inside of the carb is likely varnished from any old fuel sitting in it, an ultrasonic clean will sort that out.
    Change the tyres and brake pads/shoes because they will have perished regardless of appearance.
    Change oil(s), fuel and filters, check the fuel tap for leaks, take it out the tank and check/clean the in-tank fuel filter.
    Clean out the fuel tank
    Check all hoses for cracks/splits
    Check intake manifold for leaks
    Remove oil pump and bench test for correct operation
    Check rear shock for leaks and correct damping
    Check every nut and bolt for tightness
    Check steering head bearings for any play
    Check fork damping operation

Irish Booster Ng likes this.
  3. Irish Booster Ng

Thanks for the great reply Steve,I've a few questions if you don't mind?

How would I go about checking these?

Also,the scooter has spark,would I be right in assuming the CDI is good?(I have a new one on the way just in case)

Thanks in advance,
    Irish Booster

4. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Compression tester from machine Mart, about £30.
    Carb: no. Strip it.
    Oil pump: UTUBE
    Rear shock: push it down, it should spring up a little then slowly rise towards the end
    Front forks: push down hard, it shouldn't bounce back hard, check for fluid leaks at the seals.

Irish Booster Ng likes this.
  5. Irish Booster Ng

Cheers Steve

It was dropped off earlier.

Forks don't budge,rock solid.
    Exhaust just needs going at with a wire brush and vht paint.
    Won't get a chance to get into till the weekend hopefully no truly nasty surprises await...