Re-regging a scooter,

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by Jonnymarrw00t, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Jonnymarrw00t

Jonnymarrw00t Moderator Staff Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip 05 plate
    I recently got stopped for my bike being too loud, and was cautioned and given a section 59. Also said that I need to reg as a 70 as my insurance is invalid, I've told the insurance company but that's fine, However I need to tell the dvla, Question is am I going to need to do another M.o.t or something or can I just send it off.

2. tErr0

tErr0 Administrator Staff Member

A section 59 is normally just that you need to get a new mot to be able to continue to ride your bike on the road. They are normally given out when your riding around on a bike that would fail its mot for some reason. E.g. bald tyre.

Re reging as a 70cc however should need a test to make sure you have done the modifications needed such as a number plate light and a different headlight. It may be that as you are going up in cc rather than down to a lesser cc that reduces you tax that they don't really care so you can just edit your log book and send it off but I'm not sure.

3. ramo

ramo GoldMember

You can just send it off and thats that but the next MOT will have to be for a motorbike rather than moped as said. They only bother with inspections when you reduce the tax class AFAIK.

Its worth being careful with that S59 aswell as theyll seize and crush any vehicle youre in/on if you get another one in a year and as far as i know you cant really argue them or anything its all done at the roadside..

4. Jonnymarrw00t

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip 05 plate
    It's because my bike is far to loud lol. Orderd a 'performance' airbox to try quieten it down :/ Can't use the original airbox haha, They said it'd be fine if it was quieter, But I thought I'd rather be properly insured with that much money under me, I've just got a brand new M.o.T on it, so I wont have to bother for another year ? I'll send it off tomorrow :)

5. ramo

ramo GoldMember

I just never use full throttle till theyre past me seems to work well so far :). I don't think I know anyone thats gotten a S59 in my area luckily..touch wood.

6. Jonnymarrw00t

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip 05 plate
    Nah, I got 11 complaints in one week in my area, They're all stuck up cunts on dole.

7. Mr Bizzle

Mr Bizzle Active Member

Rides:
    04 Aerox 70 stage 6
    Eh.. what was that.. I can't hear you, some fucker's riding a noisy scooter up the road

8. Jonnymarrw00t

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip 05 plate
    I can not help it being loud. It's funny how the person who complained drives a v6 with a straight through exhaust. which is much louder than my moped.

9. Mr Bizzle

Mr Bizzle Active Member

Rides:
    04 Aerox 70 stage 6
    Stick some spuds up his exhaust.

10. Edgar

Edgar Active Member

tell him so cheap place to re-spray hes car an key it lool

11. Edgar

Edgar Active Member

and this is bull crap if it passes the mot then its fine for the road , my neighbor has a harley and when hes going out i literately cant hear my tv , and when he comes back midnight i almost jump out my bed lol , but there is nothing he can do about it because its factory made ? so im guessing there is no noise limits if you pass your mot.
    btw u lucky to pass your mot my 172 typh failed mot because some cunt decided that its too loud... when he passed a 1000cc gsxr with acrapovich pipes and small number plate just in before he failed me

12. phil.s

phil.s Active Member

think yours is noisy jonni you wanna ride my nrg with the zx on.
    i pulled over the other day rather than ride past a copper parked near my house i walked upto the house just cos of the noise

13. MoonDog

MoonDog Member

Rides:
    Honda Dylan 04
    Mines up for MOT this month and sporting the Venom pipe, which is pretty loud tbh. But its got the E mark number on it. Its road legal, with the baffle in. Now without the baffle its very loud, enough to turn heads loud. I tried it last week without and then put the baffle back in. It draws way to much attention without the baffle.

As it goes their are loads of bikers around my area, so no one really complains. Most of them dont go out past 10pm, so noise is rarely a problem. If i have to go out i sometimes push my bike up my road a bit before i start it, as i know people near me have kids, and it seems to be better to not be treading on peoples toes.

14. Mr Bizzle

Mr Bizzle Active Member

Rides:
    04 Aerox 70 stage 6
    My old man's Honda shadow used to set off car alarms when it had straight through turnouts.

Edgar likes this.