quickest 172?

Discussion in 'Maxiscooter Tuning' started by midge, Jan 8, 2008.

1. midge

midge Member

just wondering what the quickest one is, ive heard people tak off speeds upto 120mph! a friend of my brothers has built a 172 engine thats ment to be around 30hp which seems like a massive amount, there must be others at around this spec? how do they perform?

2. wobbly_trials

wobbly_trials Active Member

Rides:
    RD350, SR125, ICE125
    30bhp is a very achievable goal, there are 172s and 183s out there in the 40s now.

speed readings are a bit of a myth, no one really knows how true they are.

some PM bullshit:

PM TUNING 'SPRINT TEAM' DO THE 11

WORLD RECORD SMASHED AGAIN..!!

The 11 second 1/4 barrier was finally conquered the first 178cc scooter to 11 seconds..

The elusive 11 second barrier finally fell this weekend (12/08/06) at Santa Pod FIA international raceway.
    Beating PM Tuning's own and previous best world record holding of 12.01 second, standing in October 2005.................blasting up the strip from a standing start. The PM Tuning Racing Products Pro Sprinter Piloted by Joe Elliot scorched an amazing 11.90 second 1/4 mile run terminating at 104.68 MPH.

The run was hammered home, backed up within the hour to record a consecutive 11.95 second run terminating at 104.23 MPH.

Early morning attempts looked promising as most were consistently within in the 12.09 window. Strong side winds hampered efforts so small adjustments to the transmission were used to set the mode for run number 6 to record the fastest run of the day for a well deserved result.

Congratulations to Head Honcho, the engine tuning guru Paul Melici, and to all the team at PM Tuning Racing Products Ltd. and last but not least Joe Elliot, for piloting the missile to a truly fantastic result.

well done lads........

old news but relevant

3. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn Administrator Staff Member

Rides:
    et2 monster
    your brothers friend not build scoots for a living then?
    alot of people claim power through guesswork. i doubt its close to 30 but not saying it isnt the case.

120mph is a silly claim tho as the most your really gonna atain with under 40bhp is around 110 and even then its wind that becomes the main factor..

most people who claim 120 are really doing around 85.. tyres blow at 120ffs LOL

4. hotwot

hotwot New Member

So a bike that does 105 clock speed would last how long before the tyres would explode?
    or isit not the time the speed is held at, just when the bike starts moving too quickly?

5. wobbly_trials

Rides:
    RD350, SR125, ICE125
    scooter rated tyres begin to disintergrate at around 115-125 mph depending on their construction (and make).

6. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    105mphj would read at around 130+ on the clocks if they went that high anyway.. tell him to bring it to pod and see exactly how quick it is.. not a challenge but if it is fasat he should race it for fun..alot of us on here are this year

7. Jamie

Jamie Active Member

Rides:
    xt660x, 200sx s14a
    im taking my sr to santa pod when its finished in the summer :D

8. lol

lol New Member

yh i might have a go at santa pod this yh with my 180 just for fun dose is cost any think and when is it

9. wobbly_trials

Rides:
    RD350, SR125, ICE125
    let me know when your'e going i'll bundle my 70 in the LR and have a laugh on it.

10. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    its not exactly free.. think its 15# entry and anything up to 30 quid for race registration.. if you are commin tho even if its to watch/spin around the pits please no wheelys as it ended in us all being banned from riding ANY scoots other than on the track.. not good as we parked at the finnish line an had to walk them up

good fun tho and you dont need a fast scoot to run.. there was 2 girls with stock typh/sr running for fun (pit bikes they decided to use for the sake of it) great laugh and cheap weekend.. camping out is fun too aswell as beer tent's :D

11. wobbly_trials

Rides:
    RD350, SR125, ICE125
    was plannin on running it, whats the rules on machines? any scruitineering?

12. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    ye theres scruteneering.. basicly no sharpe edges, accessable kill switch (sstock ignition is fine) front brake and nothing dangerouse/loose.. less strict than an mot basicly but its gotta be safe.. tyres are how you like em tho so blad if you want.. nbo mention of mudguards or anything tho

if your bike has an mot dont worry about it.. there was an ice with us last time with literally a frame engine forks brakes and a switch.. had to tape rubber bits on all the sharp edges.
    also lid is scrutineerd so make sure it has the sticker on the back still

last time i rode there was no need for boots or anything, can run in a t shirt and trainers if you so wish but a jacket is recomended.

13. wobbly_trials

Rides:
    RD350, SR125, ICE125
    cool, i'll strip the bike out to as little as possible (mainly for transporting it)

14. wobbly_trials

Rides:
    RD350, SR125, ICE125
    also, would it be just a run what you brung day or a bikes only one?

can u enter multiple vehicles?

15. lol

lol New Member

so is they a date set yet i would love to go how do u get up they minor confusion and is it a hole weekend i am defentley goin

16. midge

midge Member

i believe a place called 2wheelsahead have built the engine, or someone that works there doing it on the side he mentioned alot of billet parts, i doubt he will go pod its about an hour drive by car from here on the m1..

17. tErr0

tErr0 Administrator Staff Member

LOL.

18. lol

lol New Member

i have heared bad storys about them but i have been they befor and it was ok bit pricey

19. LIVELY16

LIVELY16 New Member

mite bring my mini moto , Grc , 16bhp , really wanna see what i get in the 1/4 mile, what times do 26bhp gillys get. gonna bring mine , how many runs do ppl normally get.

20. midge

midge Member

i know 2wheels are pants from when i had my own nrg a couple of years ago, im sure it has been built by a guy that works there, but not built by 2wheelsahead if you understand that :)