questions about reeds ?

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by charliemcmurray5, Dec 14, 2012.

1. charliemcmurray5

charliemcmurray5 Member

so my reed has a chunk out of one of the petals (metal petals)

can this bee the reason why my bike wont starts
    also doo i have to take the engine apart to find the broken part (hope i dont lol)

and any one know the best way to unseize a brembo calliper ?

2. ramo

ramo GoldMember

Could well be. Replace them.

You're gonna need to take the cylinder off (and flush the cases with petrol or something) atleast to try and find the broken bit of metal and check the piston and barrel for any damage. Crank and bearings maybe aswell.

3. Stig

Stig Well-Known Member

Rides:
    EXUP1000
    depends how big the chunk of reed is thats missing...it may well have been blown through and out the exhaust.

The missing part on the petal WILL make a diffenece to starting as the reeds have to sealed at the tip; to create the necessary vacuum in the cylinder, to be able to drag the mixture through into the cylinder in the correct ratio of fuel to air...and then be able to atomize it

AS for unsticking the caliper, it'll need removing and then the piston blowing out with something like an air line...the piston seals will then need removing and the groove behind the seal cleaning. Ideally then, you'd replace the seals with new and re-insert the pistons back into the housing. I did a how to some while back that showed how to go about it. I'll see if I can find it for you

4. Stig

Stig Well-Known Member

Rides:
    EXUP1000