Project 'Speedtrek'....

Discussion in 'Pictures' started by Merlin, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    Here's my modded TKR2 from last year. It started it's life as a bright red 2007 TKR2 Rally Victories Edition, with loud rally stickers, white wheels and bellypan and knackered bodywork. As I am 54 and not 17, I gave it a 'retro' 1980s-style makeover more fitting to my age.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The bike is now a mixture of Speedfight and Trekker, hence 'Speedtrek'. The Speedfight bars and clocks have been modified by adding an eBay Chinese rev counter to the right hand dial, instead of a coolant temperature gauge (my bike is air cooled, so the coolant gauge was redundant and ripe for modding). I scanned the original clock fascias and made a retro black version that I laminated before cutting it out and it looks totally stock, even with the rev counter mods.

The front headlamp is Trekker 100 and replaced the awful 'Angel Eye' headlamps the bike had originally. The front aftermarket indicators have been moved to where they would be on a Speedfight and look stock. The chrome side badges are actually boot lid badges from old Peugeot 305s to give the side panels an old motorbike 'Petrol tank' look (I spent a lot of time on the automobilia area on eBay). Add some late 1970's Peugeot blue and yellow decals and a few other chrome badges and the look is complete. The paint colour is Citroen Wicked Red metallic painted onto a new TNT bodykit. The chunky 'off-road' tyres were ditched for a set of Maxxis road tyres. A black belly pan and seat toned things down nicely too. I aimed for what the factory might have done if the TKR was made in the early '80s.

The bike is Stage 1 fast road tuned and it even has a white 80's Rickman top box on it now to complete the look. I am going to remove the Yasuni exhaust as it is too loud and replace it with a Leo Vince Sito street pipe. The Sito pipe looks more in keeping with the 'retro' feel too and wont sacrifice too much performance.

My next steps are to fit a Naraku sports clutch pulley and an uprated contra spring, then sort out why the forks are a bit 'sticky'.

What do you think?

Mark Emerson Trentham likes this.
  2. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Nice and clean and tidy.
    What about security for it? Wouldn't want some little scroat taking a shine to it now...........

3. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    Thanks, Steve - that's quite a compliment, coming from you. :)

It has an NCS alarm system and immobiliser on it, that I supplement with a hacksaw-proof lock and chain when I park it up anywhere other than securely at home or at work.

Just for comparison, this is what a TKR2 Rally Victories Edition looks like. This is not the bike after my son had used it - mine was in far worse condition when I got it back from him.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'd say that's quite a transformation when you compare the two. I like how you can tell at first glance that my bike is obviously a Peugeot, but when you start to look a little closer, it's not totally recognisable as a particular model. It's had some people guessing as to what it is!!

4. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

the forks on peugeots tend to be shite, its just how they are, if i recall, they dont have any fliud, just a bushing to be the "damping" but that was not a trekker, must have been a vivacity if i recall, but they look the same almost.
    i really like your scoot, its probably my fav from this forum, its subtle and different from the norm.
    you should get some sort of airbox moade up instead of the one you have, but something really 80s looking and i have no idea what... something square maybe?

5. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    According to the manual, the Paioli upside-down forks of my TKR should have 90cc of SAE 10 fork oil in them - I doubt that there's any in there at all. I have some new fork seals and next weekend is a Bank Holiday, so I'll be taking the forks off to replace the seals and to find out what, if anything, is wrong with them. I'll give the sliders a polish with some 1200 wet and dry paper and some WD-40, so that there's nothing that can mess up the new seals.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
  6. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    A bit of an update...

The bike now has a Technigas Next R exhaust on it, with a custom fabricated mounting bracket that is based on the Technigas brackets advertised on some scooter parts sites. I tried to fit the Leo Vince Sito exhaust, but the pipe seemed to be way too close to the cooling fan cover for comfort and the Leo Vince stock brackets didn't fit my bike, no matter what I tried (before anyone asks, I did buy the correct Peugeot brackets for that pipe and I sought advice before buying). It should pass the MOT with the Technigas pipe on it, as it's not as loud as the Yasuni by quite a margin. I'll find out how she runs when I take her for the MOT.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  7. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

those leo vince pipes are like that, nearly every one ive fitted to a speedfight has needed modding to fit, i think they make it to fit, then heat treat it and it goes horribly out of shape...
    i seem to recall they went bust but then another company took over? i could be thinking of the norwegian supplier for them though...

8. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    They are still around. I had a spare set of aluminium Leo Vince brackets that I tried modding to fit, but after loads of fettling it was still about 1cm out with one of the bolts. Short of fabricating a bracket for the Sito pipe, I was getting nowhere, so I dug the old Technigas pipe out and fitted that instead. At least my bracket fits :D and I'll take some photos tomorrow in the sunshine, as I am taking it for it's MOT.