Project aprilia area 51 2002

Discussion in 'Scooter Projects' started by Michelniel17, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Michelniel17

Michelniel17 New Member

I went out and purchased an aprilia area 51 2001 model (project) to discover the back brake caliper had snapped off the engine casing so the following week weekend I went out and purchased another just a 2002 model as needed engine and various parts bargain really both only hold me at £150 and with a brand new 70 cc kit and upjeted carb I can't complain just going to take abit of time now restoring as they ain't in the best of conditions. Here are some picks of both black is the 2001 purple is 2002 my aim is getting the 2002 on road has just had top end rebuild with a 70cc kit

Attached Files:

2. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Question:
    Does the one with the 70 kit run?
    I'm wondering why someone would put a NEW 70 kit on then sell the bike more or less immediately?
    Makes me suspect that they've blown the piston already

3. Michelniel17

Michelniel17 New Member

They both have a 70 kit on one the 70 kit had blown on badly take a look at the crack going along the barrel the other it had a max speed of 13 mph my mate bought a new top end and still no difference and then got a different bike and left it in his shed for a few year so I bought it off him for parts as the top end is what I needed for the other if that makes sense here is a picture of the old head and why it was not running but now has a new top end on (should run perfect now) getting all cleaned up ready for restoration as Its a project I want to use on road myself so far so good

Attached Files:

4. Michelniel17

Michelniel17 New Member

Engine before I start the restoration pick 1

Engine afta start of restoration

Attached Files:

5. Michelniel17

Michelniel17 New Member

Side casing complete now time to tidy up the engine will be looking new very soon

Attached Files:

6. Michelniel17

Michelniel17 New Member

So spent my morning cleaning and finish the engine rebuild if I do say so my self looking alot nicer now than before

Attached Files:

7. Michelniel17

Michelniel17 New Member

It's been a while but started on bodywork
    (next is all orange decals)

Picks abit shabby coz of flash on me phone

Attached Files: