Problems with Piaggio Fly 125

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by piaggiofly125, Jan 31, 2018.

Tags:
  1. piaggiofly125

piaggiofly125 New Member

Hi, first post here, been trying to learn a lot and work out whats going on with the scooter Ive just bought and thought Id see if anyones got a second opinion of any kind before I start doing some work on it.

So I bought it about 2 weeks ago and a few days after I noticed a bit of an unsteady knocking noise going on when Im sat still idling, the wheel spins quite fast and idle speed picks up if I put it onto the stand with the engine running and the other real major problem is that when you accelerate the bike just about reaches 45 mph and the revs seem to tops out and the bike sort of judders and lurches as the power becomes inconsistent.

Doing some reading I found that the valve adjustment is reccommended to be done at 6000km on this bike and its just beyond that almost at 7200 so I decided to take some of the body off to have a look and it seems that someone has already had the valve cover off at some point so this would lead me to think the valves have already been adjusted.

Further reading led me to find other things saying that with the symptoms that Im having it could be that the rollers and belt could be worn but some also say the variator may have a groove in it too, some say that the contra spring could be worn out (too stiff or loose?) and need replacing too.

What I am thinking to do is completely replace the variator and front pulley complete with new rollers and put a new drive belt on then do the valve adjustment again. Is it worth replacing the whole variator or am I just going over the top? Should I also replace the contra spring and possibly the main clutch body too in case the pads are worn or just do the variator first and see if that fixes things up? Really would like to just take it apart once and know that its good but not sure wether to go to the full length of doing the clutch too but its all part of the same sytem I guess? Anything obvious I might have missed?

Sorry for asking so many questions and hope Ive posted this in the appropriate place, new to scootering but done a bit of engine work and just want to get my bike up and running and not have to worry about it, thanks for reading!

2. Mark Emerson Trentham

Mark Emerson Trentham Well Known Member. Staff Member

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Don't know your year.?,Contact Piaggio,had a '15' - little while ago received a recall letter direct from Italy concerning 'faults' in the production of the model.

3. piaggiofly125

piaggiofly125 New Member

The year of mine is 2010, don't think I've I seen anything about it but will have a look. Just been having a look at a malossi variator and clutch, wonder if it would make any considerable difference.
    Could the spring really wear that much that it could make the bike mess about at top speed like that, normal acceleration is fine. Or would it likely be the rollers, maybe a slightly worn out variator and clutch and spring, maybe possible if someone treated it badly before?

Would be nice to get it in nice running order again.