Problems with my new 70cc kit

Discussion in 'Scooter Tuning' started by Wunny, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Wunny

Wunny Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip 50 2T
    My ped is a Piaggio Zip 50 2T.

I've recently installed an air filter and a 70cc kit into my ped and it's not running properly. It also takes a few more kicks then normal to start.

What basically happens is it ticks over fine and I could probably ride it for about 10 minutes then the engine just totally cuts out. After that it takes around 30 minutes for it to actually work again but doesn't go that far.

My last setup was just a standard 17.5 Dellorto carb with a 65 jet in, Leo Vince TT exhaust and just a stock air filter. That was my initial setup, until I got my 70cc kit with an airfilter. I then upjetted it to a size 90 but was running too rich because the spark plug was black. I have now down jetted it to 80 and i'm going to go test it in a few hours. I've also checked the spark and it's ok, just a little bit weaker then it should be but I don't see why it wouldn't work. The compressions ok also.

If you need any more information just reply back and I'll reply ASAP.

I don't really want to take it to a garage since the last garage I took it too ripped me off, all they did was upjet my carb and change just the airfilter case and charged me £230 which I thought was bullsh#t.

I've also checked the inside of my cylinder and it doesn't look scratched up or anything, just that I can tell the 90 jet was too rich because the head of the piston was black aswell as the spark-plug.

Thanks in advance guys,
    Nathan

Current setup for my bike:
    -Standard 17.5mm Dellorto carb
    -Polini 70cc Kit
    -Leo Vince TT exhaust
    -Mainjet size 80

Initial setup for my bike:
    -Standard 17.5mm Dellorto Carb
    -Standard 50cc kit
    -Leo Vince TT exhaust
    -Mainjet size 65

2. brettfield999

brettfield999 Member

Rides:
    Typhoon 172
    Lose that air filter for a start, revert back to the airbox and jet to the airbox. You won't have half the problems that you do if you do that. If the plug is black just replace it. Come back to us when that's done. You do not need an airfilter and it creates more problems than benefits.

3. Wunny

Wunny Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip 50 2T
    Alright, so I've put the airbox on with an 80 jet which I'm going to try out tomorrow since my neighbours are getting pissed off.

With the jets, if it was 65 without the 70 kit, how much would it need upjetting with the 70cc kit? I heard it's like 15-20%.

4. brettfield999

brettfield999 Member

Rides:
    Typhoon 172
  5. Wunny

Wunny Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip 50 2T
    I'll pick up a size 72 jet up tomorrow.

6. Sloba Serbia

Sloba Serbia New Member

it looks like it overheats to me...10 min you drive it and when it overheats the piston cant move as easy as it did when it was cold and stops...it looks like that to me...i am not sure is that AC or LC?

7. Wunny

Wunny Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip 50 2T
    It's AC mate, my other mate said it sounds like it's over heating too.. How could I fix this?
    thanks.

8. Wunny

Wunny Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip 50 2T
    So i've tried my standard airfilter on with a 65 jet and it ticks over for about 3 minutes then the engine cuts out.

9. Jonnymarrw00t

Jonnymarrw00t Moderator Staff Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip 05 plate
    I have the same bike as you. 65 is what I used for Just the TT you want a 72. something like that.

10. Sloba Serbia

Sloba Serbia New Member

do you have a cooling fan on the scoot? something is wrong...you need to get all boxes from the cylinder back like stock...if you didnt put them back or you forgeted the fan or something it overheats...check you fan and all the boxes arount the cylinder...i never had this problem i have an AC too and i driven in for 40 kilometres non-stoping and it didnot died...at the end you feel less power but it doesnt die...check all that...you can mess the cylinder pretty bad if that is it overheates

11. Wunny

Wunny Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip 50 2T
    The fans on, all the casing.
    It was running fine all today! :D But cut out just now. It cut out now and again but it started straight away after until tonight. I put a 65 jet in and my old airbox back on.

Any ideas? Sparks fine still but I think it's running too lean so I'm gonna go for a 72 jet. Cheers

12. Sloba Serbia

Sloba Serbia New Member

if the spark is fine that it is not the carburator problem...:/ i still think it overheates..but why? :D :p do you have temperature gauge? try to loan it from a freind or someone who has it or buy it...spark plug gets the real color after 2km of full throtle...i had the similiar problem when i was gettin my bike together but i putted to much oil in my crank bearings so that was the reason...i dont think it is the jet...i am really sure that is not the jet problem..:D try findin some temp gauge and see does it overheat ;)

13. Jonnymarrw00t

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip 05 plate
    If it's running fine on a 65 how would it be lean on a 72 ? Think you're abit mixed up.... My zip polini sport/tt/standard box 72 jet 5 gram rollers.

14. Sloba Serbia

Sloba Serbia New Member

it is lean on 65 i think he meant

15. Wunny

Wunny Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip 50 2T
    Jonny, If you read it properly I said it was running fine all day with a few cut outs then it cut out last night and wouldn't start again. I could tell it was lean because of the spark plug, and what I was trying to say was that I was going to try the same setup but with a 72 jet.

Your peds pretty much like mine, I've got a pilini sport/tt/standard box 65 jet and don't know what rollers. Does your bike run fine?

And could it be my jets that my bike keeps cutting out?

Thanks,
    Nathan

16. Sloba Serbia

Sloba Serbia New Member

17. Jonnymarrw00t

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip 05 plate
    Ahh i'm sorry, Read it really late lol. I'm running 5 gram rollers. Still having teething problems, I'm geting sorted Friday on the dyno so if it's not fixed by then i'll let you know the full details :)

18. Zip Speed

Zip Speed Member

It could be and electrical fault. ive got a mate with a zip that kept on cutting out we tryed everything to sort it rebuild the engine jets the lot until one day he riggled the wires and the connector that go to the magneto when the engine was running and it cut out he tryed starting it again and nothing he riggled the wires again tryed starting it and it started straight up. we took the connector off to have a look and it was all corroded and f*ked basicly we replaced that and it never did it again. To me theres no pattern to your engine cutting out it just does it when it feels like it so thats the only thing i can think of try all your connections that are to do with the CDI and spark make sure there in good condition. Hope this helped :)

19. Sloba Serbia

Sloba Serbia New Member

yes today i told my freind abotu this problem he sad that it is a eletric problem for sure...i dont know...it is possible...:)

20. Wunny

Wunny Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip 50 2T
    To be honest, the spark plug is rusty, but my new one has such a weak spark so I think it's best to use the old one for the time being just to rule out the spark. I'll check the wires now :)