problem.. fitting NRG front to typhoon 125

Discussion in 'Visual Modifications' started by ziggy_tph125, Oct 5, 2013.

1. ziggy_tph125

ziggy_tph125 SONIC BOOOOM!!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typoon 125,
    i recently got hold of a nrg front panel to fit to my typhoon 125, i offerd it up and the panel fits but only when the head lights are out!!!! iv looked at the lights off the bike and i cant see a way of modifing the casing to make it smaller, so i looked to see what it was hitting in to and it looks like a reserve tank for the fule can any body throw some ideas at me?????

IMG01029-20131005-1930.jpg IMG01028-20131005-1930.jpg

i realy want to change the look of the front end, iv seen pics of it done so i know it is possible, just not sure what iv not considered......

thanks ziggy

2. ziggy_tph125

Rides:
    Piaggio Typoon 125,
    homework update lol.....

i have found the answer to my typhoon/nrg front panel problem, i came across a fella who found exacly the same problem with the secondary tank being in the way, he managed to resolve it by removing the lights from the tnt light conversion kit for the typhoon and secureing them to the panel

http://www.italjetdragster.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=111149&page=2

so im now going to get my hands on a tnt light kit....... problem solved, i will update this thread with how it went and how i secured the lights to the panel, hope this helps out all my tph brothers and sisters lol

3. ziggy_tph125

Rides:
    Piaggio Typoon 125,
    just went on ebay and got the TNT headlight kit for £27.90 inc p&p, i got it in white as it was the cheepest (black £29, carbon £27, white £22) and i wont be using the white surround as im only going to be using the light fittings, it should be with me by thursday so i will keep u guys posted, time to start rubbing down,primering and spraying the panel ;)

4. ziggy_tph125

Rides:
    Piaggio Typoon 125,
    finished the paint job on the front panel today :) had to cut a very small piece out of the bottom to make it fit around the secondary tank

IMG01030-20131007-1840.jpg
    after cutting out the piece i could then fit the front panel, that is when i come acros my next problem! so....

problem 1 was standard nrg lights was to long and hitting the secondary tank= solved with tnt kit lights

problem 2 was the nrg front panel hits the secondary tank = cutt away a small piece of the nrg panel

IMG01031-20131007-1842.jpg

problem 3 as the typhoon panel is alot longer from top to bottom than the nrg panel it leaves the front under fork panel exposed = cut away the lip of the front under fork panel

IMG01033-20131007-1843.jpg

problem 4.... my new problem! the typhoon inner front foot panel (panel with ignition barrel hole) is about 5cm to short each side, so the nrg panel has to go in its place, i have sorced 1 from gumtree so ill update as and when, im still waiting on my tnt lights and because i cut away part of the front under fork panel i decided to buy a nrg front mudguard fairing just to help stop water from geting up in to the electrics...... not sure if it fits yet but iv looked at my forks and they have the bolt holes that look like they match the fairing, fingers crossed lol.

5. ziggy_tph125

Rides:
    Piaggio Typoon 125,
    ok so today i went to north london an collected the nrg inner front foot panel with the ignition barrel hole, not bad for £10 but it had a chip missing from the bottom left side so needs repairing, the nrg front mudguard arived to and it fits so im a happy guy today IMG01036-20131008-1737.jpg

IMG01035-20131008-1735.jpg

so all thats left is the tnt lights to come and a little bit of spraying and repairing then iv managed to pull it off

IMG01037-20131008-1930.jpg

as you can see iv already started the repair lol, ill update as an when...... ;)

6. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    How about removing the secondary (front) petrol tank! The tnt halogen light units are crap at best, they shed no light what so ever on the road. SDC11733.JPG
    I fitted the NRG front to one of my typhoon's as i was using a Runner engine/rad in it and fitted 55w main and dip light units into the original nrg fitting, fully road legal and megga bright!

7. ziggy_tph125

Rides:
    Piaggio Typoon 125,
    i wasnt sure how long a tank of fuel would last if i took out the secondary tank, i thought it would be a better compromise if i kept the tank and moded the lights? are the tnt's really that crap???

8. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    Yes they are! There is no beam pattern and not m.o.t worthy, (no main n dip) the lights I fitted are E marked and work great. They were £120 a pair.

9. ziggy_tph125

Rides:
    Piaggio Typoon 125,
    so did you take the main tank out? and did you use the nrg standard lights i have?

IMG01039-20131009-1035.jpg

i finished the repair on the inner foot board panel so gana be spraying it today :)

IMG01040-20131009-1035.jpg

10. ziggy_tph125

Rides:
    Piaggio Typoon 125,
    ops! i said main tank but i ment secondary!! my bad. im not sure if i want to spend £120 on a set of lights when its £20 shy of a 25mm dellorto carb hahah, i can always swop back to the typhoon front end for mots but i hear what your saying about the tnt's producing hardly any light on the road and not being legal, i wanted to keep the secondary tank as i removed the oil pump and im running premix so i wanted to keep visits to the petrol stations to a minimal.... if the lights you got hold of are smaller than the standard nrg lights so it means i can keep the secondary tank then im just gana have to wait a little longer for the carb and 172 kit..... :(

11. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    If your going to replace the front panel for mot then leave it on full time and keep the front tank. Making the scooter safe an legal is probably more important than making it go fast!

12. ziggy_tph125

Rides:
    Piaggio Typoon 125,
    spray job is done probly gana remove the tank and use the standard nrg lights coz i love the new front end, we cant always have our cake and eat it so looks like im gana take the leagal route..... hears how she looks now IMG01042-20131009-1645.jpg

Tins81 and Subw00fer like this.
  13. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    The legal route on a 125cc is that you need a side light, dip/main beam headlight! The NRG lights are still illegal on a 125. And get some 13" wheels on it.

14. ziggy_tph125

Rides:
    Piaggio Typoon 125,
    nuts!!! i thought the nrg would be legal!!!! what were the lights you fitted then an where did u get them from? sory for all the questions i just want to get it spot on ;)

15. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    I don't know how to put a link up but try these e bay numbers. 321225210398, this is a new set, if you ring them you can buy them with out the surround and are cheaper, this number is for a s/h set 321223272115 but ask him for the lens diameter, it needs to be 40mm. strip the old nrg light unit and make up little plates to bolt them in, I'll try to take a photo of mine if I can get in without stripping it all out.

16. ziggy_tph125

Rides:
    Piaggio Typoon 125,
    sweet cheers for that bro ;)