pm tuning pro street

Discussion in 'Pictures' started by shiny red, Jul 11, 2009.

1. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn Administrator Staff Member

Rides:
    et2 monster
    seen/mapped this..... there's a difference of 4mm between initial opening and fully open on the exhaust port so its a lazy one.. the filler is slightly back from the bore face so wont rub altho it still sits COMPLETLY flat so fucks any kind of directional flow into the ports.. ALSO i worked out there retarded severly over a STOCK 172 on a 52 stroke so its reverse tunned. as in the timings are lowewr (to scale) and basicly need a 2mm lift bear minimum.. i can understand filling them, but not 3mm...

will put the map up today, with the calculations i did myself (what i would do to the barrel)

the work on the barrel is tidy enough dont get me wrong, but the filling the sheer angle of the final port face and the fact the stub DOESENT FIT just shows they couldent give a fuck...

i know we all know i hate pm but this is not me picking fault in somone ofr the sake of it... its somone paying ALOT of money for a cylinder that has been tunned for what application exacxtly? its asif theyve done everything good, then completly fucked it.. i dont understand.. maybe the lower timings are to stop there pipes cooking this barrel (they REALLY start to heat up with a pm, 59.. we all know that) but then as dwqarf said why the hell did they raise the exhaust to a perfect scale increase? (exhaust timing is exactly the same in degree's as a stock 172 but opens alot slower) it may be done this way to last for long jhourneys.. but then why the fuck have it done in the first place? case work on a 52 is more than enough for road. i REALLY dont get this one

2. shiny red

shiny red New Member

[​IMG]
    minor holding the two top racing cranks or is it pm cranks lol
    [​IMG]
    map by minor :thumbsup:
    the head has been used and cleaned up and the barrel has had something written on it then sanded out and 55 mm written over the top (not been used though)was the barrel intended for something else ,then had to be changed ?
    i am sure they will come on and tell us lol

3. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    oh my god thats a fucking terible picture... i look like rumplestiltskin LOL all i need is a long pointy hat and a stick.. :D

but ye, map speaks for itself.. grab a calculator and work it out.. i cant.... like, REALLY... its like taking a 52 stroke barrel, not touching the exhaust hight, widening it and reducing the first "push" through the exhaust, then lowering the transfers by a mm.... ye there a little advanced stock (said it for years) but raise the exhaust and bring it into the powerband higher.. dont retard the thing.. i honestly recon a 52 stroke wiht fuck all work other than a 32mm exhaust port would be faster/more reliable

4. shiny red

shiny red New Member

like to see rumplestiltskin wheelie a 70 up my 45 deg drive in the pissing rain :this:

5. Blue dwarf

Blue dwarf New Member

Been playing with the software while i`ve got a minute to myself (dos`nt happen very often) and came up with some figures (OK boring to the un-initiated but very important as to how an engine will perform (theoretically :grin: ).

Going by the figures provided (the port map) the specs for the PM barrel are (and useing two different length rods as this spec wasnt given)

55 stroke 105mm rod ex. duration 189.6 trans duration 117.2 blowdown 72.4
    "" 110mm rod " "" 188.8 "" "" 116.4

Both these durations are on the low side, the exhaust is`nt too bad and without further specs can only guess at the max power is aimed at the 8500rpm range approx however the transfer duration is extremely low and this engine will not breathe at all well in the upper rev range and is aimed at producing torque at the expense of max power.The blowdown is huge and aimed at a high revving engine, not a good combination?

A std malossi 172 with a std 52mm crank works out to:

52mm stroke 105 rod ex. duration 172.2 trans duration 115.8. blowdown 56.4

Exhaust duration is lower meaning a less revvy engine but notice how the transfer duration is within a degree of the PM barrel!Depending on the pipe and set-up most of these engines seem to produce max power at about 8000-8200rpm which bears out the figures, a good allround configeration.

Now it starts getting intresting :grin: (unless you`ve already fallen asleep).

For the sake of arguement lets asume that all the 55mm stroker cranks have a 105mm rod (if it is a 110mm rod just subtract a degree from these timings and your in the ballpark).

Slap a std Malossi (non-ported) on a 55mm stroke (1.5mm base spacer and 0.5mm gasket to correct stroke) and you get:

55mm 105 rod ex.duration 180.6 trans duration 129.8 blowdown 50.8.

The exhaust duration is better for revs but the transfer duration has gone too far the other way possibly compromising power at the lower end and there is not enough blowdown, not enough time for the ex gases to escape before compression starts.
    It`ll run but it`ll get hot and be down on power as the fresh charge will mix with the burnt charge trying to escape as the door closes :eh:

So.... we raise the exhaust port to 28mm giving a duration of 193 degrees and lower the transfers (by any means you see fit or by useing Devcon/jb) by 0.5mm and the specs then read:

55mm 105 rod ex. duration 193.0 trans duration 128.0 blowdown 65.0

This is more like it, for a bit more finess you can lower the primary transfers by 0.5mm and the secondarys by 1.0mm (125 degree) this will give a slightly wider spread of power.
    Raising the exhaust port a further 0.5 mm (27.5mm) will give you 195 degree and increase the blowdown to 67.0.
    This configeration will be a rev hungry set-up (9200-9500rpm? possibly higher) and need the pipe etc to match but the figures look a lot more healthy :mrgreen:

To compare:

PM barrel ex.duration 189.6 trans. duration 117.2 blowdown 72.4.

Computer generated ex.duration 193/195 trans. duration 128/126.5 blowdown 65/67.

This is all of course going purely on durations! There is the not inconsiderable matter of Time and Angle/areas, direction of flow, roof angles,ex port area to stub exit area (1.05-1.5:1)stub matching and blending, widening and matching the transfer entrys and blending to the case, transfer entry area (base of cylinder)to actual transfer area (inside cylinder) ratio and a few other considerations ;)

These are just my thoughts and I had an hour to kill anyway :grin:

6. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    so my 2mm raise on the transfers to correct was right... i can see them aiming for 8500 as the pm59 works best at this range (obviously) but yes it is deffinatly tunning for 2 different applications and in my opinion WRONG

7. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster

forgot to say, you could raise the exhaust (as i do and the dwarf's say?) the angle into the cylinder is equal to the barrel top face and pointed back... not up and central so again ported for torque over rpm (for there pipe) yet they enlarged the exhaust tract and didnt match the fucking thing...

the more i think about this rthe less sence it makes... then again i may be trying to pull sence from somthing senceless...

will soon see. dyno to come

8. shiny red

shiny red New Member

This is more like it, for a bit more finess you can lower the primary transfers by 0.5mm and the secondarys by 1.0mm (125 degree) this will give a slightly wider spread of power.
    Raising the exhaust port a further 0.5 mm (27.5mm) will give you 195 degree and increase the blowdown to 67.0.
    This configeration will be a rev hungry set-up (9200-9500rpm? possibly higher) and need the pipe etc to match but the figures look a lot more healthy

would it be rude to though ?and then compare the two barrels on the same case :whistle:

9. safekyle

safekyle New Member

Rides:
    Gilera runner 172
    :confused:hock:
    My learning curve hit the roof

10. Blue dwarf

Blue dwarf New Member

Not really Shiny, these are just the numbers I crunched and dont take into account the variations I listed (roof angles/angle area etc) and the million and one other subtle details that make a good spec, go for it and see what it does :mrgreen:

Oh opening the exhaust to 27.5mm from the top and blending the radii would mean an exhaust exit at the stub of about 36mm dia and a corresponding pipe with a stub/header of that diameter (std malossi exit is 29mm!).
    Also the porting and high rpm would determine a pipe with a belly diameter of at least 114mm and a tuned length @ 9500 of 960mm measured from the piston face to the end of the reflection cone (various ways of measuring tuned length including the "correct" way of piston face to 2/3 of the way down the end cone) where the stinger joins.

Again just number crunching on a day off and these figures are basic and obviously not a design for a complete exhaust :grin:

11. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    thing is altho pm pipes are "designed" for 8500/9000rpm they still work up to 13, not at peak performance but hardly at the low end of the scale with some HARSH timings...this is besides the point tho.. the fact is less work SHOULD have been done to this to make more power, the extra work is detrimental.

would be a good engine if it were ether tunned for race or tunned for road, just not half and half (especially exhaust port and stub application DOH LOLOLOLOL)

12. kyle1b1

kyle1b1 New Member

love this thread,

makes my head hurt !

13. FirE

FirE New Member

Rides:
    172 oyster card beep
    ^^ indeed.
    any one else here feel like their back in school in a science class.

scooter stuides with mr minor and mr blue dwarf,
    and shiney the supply teacher.

sir can o go toilet? :lol: :mrgreen:

14. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    only if its to vomit at that stub match ;)

15. FirE

FirE New Member

Rides:
    172 oyster card beep
    erm... :whistle: yeah thats what.. it... is :confused:ick:. you will have to explain all this shit in simple mans english when you next down

16. nrgandy

nrgandy New Member

i can understand moast of that i think but got confused by blowdown can you explain for me as im a noob haha god i need to read up more

17. safekyle

safekyle New Member

Rides:
    Gilera runner 172
    Same here on the blow down :confused:hock:

18. m1ck_t

m1ck_t Moderator Staff Member

Rides:
    alot of shit
  19. kyle1b1

kyle1b1 New Member

sounds like time between the exhaust closing and inlet opening !

EDIT: too slow but wasnt a million miles out lol

20. shiny red

shiny red New Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    its shiny now lol