Piaggo Typhoon 2003 - Not starting

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Epplen, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Epplen

Epplen New Member

Hello people,

I wish to seek advice on what to do next to be able to find what the problem is and i appreciate every answer!

The scooter did not start up after i cleaned the carburetor.

The kick is not bouncing up after i kickstart it, stays down instead of going up after kickstarting it.

I've done the following.
    -Took the carb apart and cleaned it with gasoline and used compressed air.
    -Made sure that the carb is getting fuel by removing the sportfilter and holding my hand over to make sure i got gas over my hand while kickstarting.
    -Made sure the fuel hose and vacuum hose is tightly fitted, also cleaned these out.
    -Replaced the gasket in the floatbowl
    -Adjusting the idle mixture screw and air to the default settings, but also trying alot of other settings.

It started twice out of maybe 50 times i tried kickstarting it with choke on.
    But was not able to adjust the idle speed since it died within 5 seconds.

I did find a small leak in the exhaust gasket (One side of the gasket is cracked and there is a small hole) so you can see that the spacing is a bit off. (Not sure if this affects starting it?)

Any ideas on what i should test?

2. Epplen

Epplen New Member

This is a picture of the gasket that is broken

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

3. Epplen

Epplen New Member

Edit: The Scooter starts if i pour 3-4 ml gas direclty in to the engine, but dies within 5-6 seconds.

4. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Tried a brand new spark plug? If you keep trying and trying to start an engine, it does something and the plug won't fire under load. Just try a brand new one.
    If it still doesn't start, check your intake rubber and reeds.
    Still no luck after that, check the piston rings.
    If it's been ridden a long time with a blown exhaust gasket the rings will be bad, it would have run hot..

5. Epplen

Epplen New Member

Thank you very much for the detailed message.

I have not swapped the sparkplug yet but I managed to start it today by pouring 3cc of gas directly in to the engine and it started in the first try. But did not manage to hold it for more than 10 seconds

I took the carb out again for cleaning and installed it again but no success without pouring gas directly in to the engine

6. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Just try a new plug....
    It does sound more like the reeds or intake or rings though....