piaggio zip top speed

Discussion in 'Newbie Scooter Tuning' started by bulliporker, May 16, 2012.

1. Coxy

Coxy New Member

Rides:
    Aprilia Sr 172
    The 12mm carbs are crap! That's why the brass plate etc is there for to restrict it to a 12mm.

2. Jonnymarrw00t

Jonnymarrw00t Moderator Staff Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip 05 plate
    The brass plate is NOT a restrictor, It directs the air into the jet area properly.

3. Coxy

Coxy New Member

Rides:
    Aprilia Sr 172
    It slightly restricts it + I heard all it did was restrict a 17.5 carb to the 12mm carb by using brass plate + tha arm in the air box

4. bulliporker

bulliporker Member

the carb i have is stamped 12 not a 17.5 with a restricting plate fitted do the 12mm carbs come with bigger main jets than the 17.5 or am i better just to replace the carb

5. tErr0

tErr0 Administrator Staff Member

No. Just no.

It's to get the correct air fuel ratio so they can use as small of a jet as possible to get the best fuel economy. Yes it should be removed when you tune it but not before as it is not a restriction.

6. Duggiedan

Duggiedan Piaggio zip 50cc

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip
    My zip ive just got it back on road and ive been clocked doing around 60-65 by few mates in theyre cars i know its not accurate but its theyre abouts 60ish and my zip is 50cc and has 21mm carb, variator, pipe and set up perfect.

7. Coxy

Coxy New Member

Rides:
    Aprilia Sr 172
    Well I've had 60 out of mine duggie and that's with a 70cc kit + gear up etc, and how's it setup?

8. bulliporker

bulliporker Member

mine will do 35mph with a standard 12mm carb and washer removed anyone know the standard jet sizes on a 17.5 carb

9. Coxy

Coxy New Member

Rides:
    Aprilia Sr 172
    Standard is 53 deristricted 56 but I'd just remover brass plate + sleeve from air box and put a 60 main jet with standard exhaust and 63 - 66 main jet for a deristricted sports pipe

10. bulliporker

bulliporker Member

just had another go on my friends totally standard aircooled zip it wheelies really easily and does 55mph on the level, my mk1 zip has the exhaust de restricted and the washer removed and the most i can get it to do is 42mph plus theres not a chance it could ever wheelie is the 12mm carb restricting it this much or is there any other restriction i have missed ,

11. Jonnymarrw00t

Jonnymarrw00t Moderator Staff Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip 05 plate