piaggio zip top speed

Discussion in 'Newbie Scooter Tuning' started by bulliporker, May 16, 2012.

1. bulliporker

bulliporker Member

i am after buying a piaggio zip or zip sp i have been told the sp engine is more tunable than the aircooled zip , what top speed can i realisticly achieve ie proper speed not whats showing on speedo when de restricted , i have only ever ridden geared scooters so dont really know what to except out of the 50cc engine are they really underpowered as standard and does fitting a 70cc kit make that much difference or would i be better buying a 125 2 stroke scooter if i want to travel any distances

2. ramo

ramo GoldMember

Stock 50 does 40-50. Lc doesnt make that much difference as standard. Makes alot more sense to go 125 if your old enough ect.

3. bulliporker

bulliporker Member

i am old enough to ride a 125 but i dont want a 4 stroke scooter and i thought the zip was only available in 50cc as 2 stroke

4. Aaron Hastings

Aaron Hastings 125 KiLLa!

Rides:
    Mk1 piaggio zip sp.
    top speed with standard gearing is about 58

5. bulliporker

bulliporker Member

i am buying a total standard mk1 piaggio zip sp how much difference to top speed will it make if i remove the washer behind the variator as i want to use it straight away , or am i better of waiting to i can derestrict the standard exhaust and upjet , anyone any ideas what size of main jet i will need for a derestricted mk 1 zip sp or how much bigger than standard do i need

6. Jonnymarrw00t

Jonnymarrw00t Moderator Staff Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip 05 plate
    with both de-restricted about 45-50. with the washer removed probs about 40. Not sure on the jet size.

7. ramo

ramo GoldMember

You can use the standard jet

8. bulliporker

bulliporker Member

ramo are you saying its fine to use standard jet when i remove washer but do i not need to go up a few jet sizes when i de restrict exhaust

9. Duggiedan

Duggiedan Piaggio zip 50cc

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip
    When removing the washer you dont need to change the jetting but wen derestricting the exhaust go up to 2-4 sizes

10. bulliporker

bulliporker Member

11. derekjohn

derekjohn anyone got a 125/172/182 engine for sale?

Rides:
    NRG power
    get a pipe and the washer doesent do its job :)

12. Coxy

Coxy New Member

Rides:
    Aprilia Sr 172
    Bought a gear up for my zip 50 air cooled has 70cc polini sport, stage 6 belt, lighter rollers 5.8, 82 main jet leo vince zx + its still doing 58mph /: its doing the same speed with standard gears jus slower bottom end /: + the topend jus keeps powerband longer! Would any of you know if its meant 2 go quicker cause I know those mk1s do 65 with just a 70cc kit :(

13. Jonnymarrw00t

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip 05 plate
    mk1's don't do 65 with just a 70. they can do 58, same gearing. same engine. same size wheels. Ac zips will never do over 60 really. mine does 65-70 and look how much is done to it. they're best for acceleration. little wheels just can't cope. 82 jet is a bit big isn't it ? mine was a 72 with 70's and airbox.

14. Coxy

Coxy New Member

Rides:
    Aprilia Sr 172
    Watercooled zips are better for top speed though + well I had a 72 in + it jus took a few seconds to kick in tried 76 still no change put an 82 in it its a lot better now :confused: lots of people have said about the jet but when they have had a go they've said it feels fine, + well how are they getting these zips doing 65 - 70?

15. Coxy

Coxy New Member

Rides:
    Aprilia Sr 172
    I wanted to put a taller tyre on to up the gearing but they don't make the size I'm after... Can u get a front tyre on the rear? As there slightly taller but thinner?

16. Jonnymarrw00t

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip 05 plate
    I run 10-70's on both my wheels.

17. Coxy

Coxy New Member

Rides:
    Aprilia Sr 172
    No way that's small! + what you done to yours bro?

18. bulliporker

bulliporker Member

to get these speeds 50 plus mph out of a standard zip sp has everyone replaced the standard 12 carb with a 17.5 do mk2 zips come with a 17.5 carb as standard

19. Stig

Stig Well-Known Member

Rides:
    EXUP1000
    MkII do have std 17mm carbs ;). I may even have a spare somewhere

20. bulliporker

bulliporker Member

mk1 seem to come fitted with 12mm carb