Piaggio Zip not starting??

Discussion in 'Scooter Tuning' started by dan189216, Apr 14, 2018.

Tags:
  1. CGC

CGC Active Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Liberty 50
    yeah, it should be clear with no blockages. and the pin should slide freely within. the softish end stops the fuel when the float rises.

dan189216 likes this.
  2. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

yeah..........you'll need a bit more than that.............has it got a fuel filter in the line anywhere?
    Hang on, I just re-read your post.
    When you suck on the vac pipe, stick your tongue over the end so the vacuum stays in the pipe, and the pipe is stuck to the end of your tongue so to speak, that will keep the diaphram in the fuel tap open. If you suck on the vac pipe and let go then it SHOULD stop immediately, so that would explain the lack of fuel in the float bowl in the pic. But also blow some compressed air down that hole just to make sure it is clear.
    You can leave the float bowl off to see if the fuel continues to flow freely past the float and needle.
    Another little trick you can try is to use some clear pipe as fuel hose for testing purposes, it lets you see the fuel going through to the carb, and even if you keep the suction on the vac pipe, theoretically, the float needle should shut off the flow to the carb and not allow any more through until the level drops enough for it to need some more.

dan189216 likes this.
  3. dan189216

dan189216 Member

When you say pin, you mean the pin which holds the float? Because that is slightly bent so it does not slide side to side so easy, it use to be more bent but I straightens it into shape.

4. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

No, he means the needle part, the bit with the rubber on the end, should slide freely in that hole you need to blow through, and make sure when you put the bowl back on that the pin that holds the float doesn't move out of position and keep the bowl from seating properly. And the float should bounce up and down freely as well.

CGC and dan189216 like this.
  5. dan189216

dan189216 Member

Hi, the bike is still not starting I don’t really know what else to try.

6. dan189216

dan189216 Member

Just a reminder of all the things I have done and are happening.

Fuel getting to carb.

Fuel coming out of line when sucking on vacuum.

Fuel coming out of line when fuel line disconnected and cranking bike.

Put wd40 and blew through pilot, main jet and inlet checking for blockages.

Checked how much fuel is getting into float chamber.

Checked plug and is dry.

7. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Compression test. You need a reading of 90 psi minimum.

8. dan189216

dan189216 Member

Checked compression was fine mate

9. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

What was the reading when you checked? If you have a spark and the fuel flows, then the only thing stopping it starting is either lack of compression or reeds. And if the float bowl still isn't filling, then you have to suspect a carb fault.

10. dan189216

dan189216 Member

I think 105, Yeah the carb Is still only filling like quarter of the float chamber.

11. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Take the bowl off, let the float hang down, suck on the vac pipe, does the fuel flow freely past the float, like a lot. If yes, then great, if not, then adjust the little tab so it drops the needle more to allow more fuel through. If still no joy, then you have a blockage.

dan189216 likes this.
  12. dan189216

dan189216 Member

So the needle needs to be lower in the inlet to allow more fuel or higher to allow more?

13. dan189216

dan189216 Member

I placed a cup under the carb and yes it kept on pushing fuel through, usually it shuts off, this was the first time I have tried it without the float chamber on though

14. CGC

CGC Active Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Liberty 50
    can you make it shut off and turn on with moving the float up and down, if so check to see if there is anything that would obstruct the float, also when you reassemble, possible that the bent pin you mentioned was stopping the float from dropping down again but both stevep and myself are working blind :) if all is well you should be getting fuel in to the venturi (airway) of the carb. and we follow it from there. the bowl should fill to about 3/4 full.

dan189216 likes this.
  15. dan189216

dan189216 Member

Im thinking maybe the float chamber is pushing it slightly up Maybe, I will try what you said later cheers for replys.

16. dan189216

dan189216 Member

I put the carb back on after viewing it applying more petrol when it was off, within the first few kicks the bike started for about 5 seconds until I reved it and it cut out, did not start after that, once again I viewed the plug and it’s still completely dry, should I be moving on to reviewing the manifold and reeds?

17. CGC

CGC Active Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Liberty 50
    yeah, could be worth checking the reed block, even if just to rule it out. still a possibility of the carb not creating the vacuum. what model of carb do you have ?

18. CGC

CGC Active Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Liberty 50
    you could try creating the vacuum yourself and trying to start the scoot

19. dan189216

dan189216 Member

Can’t remember the make of the top of my head and how would I create a vacuum while starting the scoot

20. CGC

CGC Active Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Liberty 50
    take the vaccum pipe off the carb and suck while starting.

dan189216 likes this.