Piaggio zip Malossi mar 86 cc

Discussion in 'Scooter Tuning' started by wicksy84, Mar 12, 2019.

1. wicksy84

wicksy84 New Member

Iv got the following set up.

Mhr 86cc Malossi c one with polini clutch, up geared both primary and secondary, a Doppler internal rotor and dell or to Vhsh c30 carb.

My problem is that it won’t effing start. I have a spark and compression. Think it’s getting fuel .

Any ideas

2. milo2025

milo2025 Trip to Trumpton

try just starting it without the airfilter on. don't ride it like that because if the idle screw unwinds the spring goes inside the engine..
    just see if it starts...has worked for me before. out of interest did you change your exhaust?
    if its an old standard one it could be blocked at the tail pipe ...(possibly) What plugs are you using? If the plug is not wet after a few kicks, pour a shot or two of fuel mix in the carb's venturi or the spark plug hole and try it.

3. wicksy84

wicksy84 New Member

I have tried the old fuel into the plug hole. Tried with no filter. Plug isn't getting wet. I have stripped and cleaned the carb.

4. wicksy84

wicksy84 New Member

I have a roost pipe fitted.

5. milo2025

You sure the choke jet isn't blocked? check how much compression it has. Check for a good blue spark. Check ignition is firing at the right time. Replace fuel with fresh and make sure no water, rust, crud in tank. Check fuel filter inside tank is not blocked. try slackening the filter and prime the hand pump until fuel comes out of the top then tighten the filter prime again and try to start the engine This gets rid of any air that's trapped in the filter - which would probably be the largest amount in the system.

6. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Reeds?
    Seems like that could be the problem

7. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

I would do a compression check first, with a proper tester, not your finger over the hole as we see some people do........
    If your compression is over 100psi then it points to a fuel supply problem.
    Check the operation of the fuel tap, disconnect both lines off the tap, put the supply pipe into a jar and suck on the vac pipe, fuel should flow while you maintain sucking pressure then stop when you stop sucking.
    If that checks out ok then check to see if the carb float bowl is filling up properly, maybe the float needle needs adjusting.
    After that it's onto the reed block.
    Incidentally, check you have the pipes on the fuel tap the right way round, easy mistake to do, done it myself in the past.

8. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Sorry Milo, some of this is ok, but I have to correct some of the rest of it.
    "You sure the choke jet isn't blocked? check how much compression it has. Check for a good blue spark." - OK
    "Check ignition is firing at the right time." - Timing is static, not adjustable, cdi controlled, no timing marks.
    "Replace fuel with fresh and make sure no water, rust, crud in tank. Check fuel filter inside tank is not blocked." - OK
    "try slackening the filter and prime the hand pump until fuel comes out of the top then tighten the filter prime again and try to start the engine This gets rid of any air that's trapped in the filter - which would probably be the largest amount in the system." - This would be appropriate if you had a diesel engine Ford Transit in your scooter.

9. milo2025

Thanks for the corrections Stevep :)