piaggio zip 50cc power loss problem

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by robby1980, Apr 7, 2008.

1. robby1980

robby1980 Member

Hi,

I bought a piaggio 50cc zip recently....its on an 05 plate with around 5000km on the clock. the problem im having is that when riding it i can only appply about 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. It accelerates ok but when you get to around half throttle its constant speed is pretty slow.

if then i go on to twist the throttle to full i get a total power loss and the engine seems to go bak to its idle speed, leaving me with no drive or power whatsoever.

basiclly i can oly ride it using half the throttle..any more and the engine seems to want to die on me.

does any one know what this could be and how hard it would be to fix?.....one other thing that maybe related is that the speedo is not working

im pretty gutte as it my first scotter and i can really use it properly with out having to get it fixed now.

many thanks

Rob

2. rideorcollide

rideorcollide Active Member

Rides:
    TYPH 172
    maybe the airbox has come off the carb, main jet too small?? have a look at the black box attacked to your carb and see if it has any holes or anything

3. fefrie

fefrie New Member

Simple, change the spark plug. Get the exact same plug, don't touch the gap.

I had the exact same problem. Had to feather the throttle all the time. Full throttle at max speed would cause the engine to cut out and coast back to 40 when it would run 'ok' again.

A new plug and it full throttles to 80kph no problem

4. robby1980

robby1980 Member

thanks for the sugestions guys...

im going to change the plug and clean the carb out and put in a new air filter and see how it goes then.

Will let you know the result

thanks

one more question.... while i have the scooter open to work on, is there any way i can tell if its been de-resticted what should i look for since i cant tell when riding it as its pretty slow at the moment!

5. alex_1966

alex_1966 New Member

de-restricers are in the variator and the exhaust as far as i know , so not so much

i feel your pain mate , my first scooter was a shit heap and i had to keep fixin it all the time , its sorted now thou :D

try the spark plug first before cleaning the carb its most likly that

6. rideorcollide

rideorcollide Active Member

Rides:
    TYPH 172
    have a look at what main jet you have, a 60 jet is piaggio's idea of de-restriction, and your variator could be restricted

7. robby1980

robby1980 Member

hello guys.... well after taking the bike apart i found a pretty large hole had been worn into the airbox cover. apparenly its a common problem on these models were the passenger footrest mount rubs against the air box.

anyway ive patched the hole an reinforced the outer part with sheet metal to prevent any further wear, ive got a new plug so i may aswell replace that and give the carb a clean out whilst the bike is stripped.

ill see how it runs once its all back together again!

8. SimonT

SimonT New Member

sounds electrical to me....

does it cough and splutter?

9. Kasper-The-Friendly-Ghost

Kasper-The-Friendly-Ghost New Member

Hello.:D I have a piaggio zip(1998)model it sounds like The reed valves, have some small sand peices between the reed valves. and thenthe when give it the full throttle. The back compression makes the reedvalve shut the hole way. BUT IF a little peace of dirt gets stuck it kills the power (btw i have the same problem i could only give mine halv throttle. Cuz if i gave it fullthrottle it will kill the speed)

Attached Files:

10. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    thats a new reed set and if it keeps happening you need to sort out your air flitering, the filter should be stopping this dirt getting to that carb and reeds. if its still happening with new filtering foam inplace and its oiled up propper, then you may wanna find a new reed cage as that could not be seating fully even when tightened down and is allowing road dirt to be drawn from the motor casing into the motor.

over time that dirt is going to scour up your barrel and in the end ruin the cylinder lining clog up the rings and ruin the top end. it will also make its way into the bearings and cause them to fail and that could mean a whole new bottom end rebuild