Piaggio Zip 50 running issues

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by bmunro21, Nov 2, 2016.

1. bmunro21

bmunro21 Member

Hi guys, picked up a zip 50 a couple days ago that has been stood since 2012. I cleaned the carb and the thing started up after a few kicks. Let the thing warm up and took it for a drive, drove nicely and acceleration was amazing however idle was extremely high even with idle screw all the way out. My pal then swapped the 64 jet for a 74 jet for some reason? Now the bike fires up and still drives nicely but only up until its warm. Once it is warm the bike bogs with anything over 1/4 throttle and still idles extremely high. My thought was the auto choke so I swapped it for one I know works however the problem still occurs.

Help would be greatly appreciated

2. SandStorm

SandStorm Member

How's your air filter? Looks like it isn't getting enough air

Sent from my Sony Xperia M2, bishes!

3. bmunro21

bmunro21 Member

Okay it turns out my airbox wasn't connected to my carb? I've connected it now and it idles okay and runs perfect now but now when I put it on the stand it's as if I'm full throttling it?

4. SandStorm

SandStorm Member

Like, revving high when on the stand? And without the stand, idles normally? Maybe something is pushing the cable, accelerating the scooter

Sent from my A1-810 using Tapatalk

5. bmunro21

bmunro21 Member

Yes exactly like that, and nothing is pulling on the cable as when I actually move throttle it feels fine

6. SandStorm

SandStorm Member

Man. I have no idea...
    Maybe on the stand it opens a air leak making it rev higher. Check the hoses play

Sent from my Sony Xperia M2, bishes!