Piaggio Zip 4T cylinder upgrade advice

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by nikitzo, Jul 1, 2016.

1. yahmon

yahmon New Member

check these guys, they doing setup on same engine as yours

Mine is a 4 valve engine that has very different character than 2 valve.
    As for cooling i think your engine has forced air and if all the shrouds are intact you shouldn't have to change anything.
    my mods include: 78 cc malossi kit, ported head, malossi cam, K&N airfilter RU 0155(not sure that fits your carb however it made a significant difference) blocked exhaust air injection, open crank case ventilation, malossi variator 6.1 gram weights blue malossi spring.
    The white spring from the malossi kit is softer than my factory spring which takes about 36kg to compress. The white one is about 32 kg and the blue is well over 40 kg. Next will try lighter roller weight and lighter spring

2. yahmon

yahmon New Member

and the technigas pipe like yours with the aluminum plug pulled out

3. nikitzo

nikitzo Member

This is stock and Tecnigas GP4 exhausts:

Not impressed at all. Look what happens only after few kilometers
    [​IMG]
    The pipe became yellow

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
  4. Todi-Corsa

Todi-Corsa 4 stroke thumper

Nice to see some more 4t engines being tuned up :), did mine a few years ago to 80cc now I'm rebuilding it again with more upgrades :D

5. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

It is nickel plated or possibly stainless? It will discolour but it shouldn't rust.

6. yahmon

yahmon New Member

discoloured from heat, i think it stainless steel

7. nikitzo

nikitzo Member

Forget to mention that when put the new exhaust I change the rollers. I replace 6.8 gr with stock ones - 6.4 gr and I was not satisfied. Today I install back the 6.8 gr rollers. I was curious and check weight of the rollers.
    Malossi - they came with Multivar (must be 6.1 gr)
    [​IMG]
    Stock rollers - must be 6.4 gr
    [​IMG]
    And some pics
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. yahmon

yahmon New Member

you might want to check air box restriction and that little 8mm donut hole in the back of exhaust.

nikitzo likes this.
  9. nikitzo

nikitzo Member

Please give me some hints about that "air box restrictions". Thank you!
    Will removing 8 mm donut of the exhaust affect performance?

10. yahmon

yahmon New Member

I never tried mine with the donut, inner tube is about 14 mm and stock pipe is about the same, i couldn't see how an 80cc could get enough flow through that little hole. On my typhoon i completely removed the airbox in exchange for a 3x3inch K&N airfilter which added enough power to climb the same hill 10 km/hr faster. This is 4 valve engine though, how yours would do i couldn't tell you,

11. nikitzo

nikitzo Member

Hi, there is a chance to buy in a very reasonable price this CDI:
    https://www.motorcyclespareparts.eu/piaggio-genuine-parts/6399785-electronic-control-unit.aspx
    this is link from bulgarian online shop (you can use translate function):
    http://www.motorshopgeorgiev.eu/8397-cdi-elektronika-piaggio-zip.html
    I'm not sure is this CDI de-restricted or not. From the shop they told me that there is no restriction in this CDI, but I am still not sure. I will be happy if you share your oppinions, experience etc. I wil be very happy if somebody can point me the exact CDI for me.
    Thank you

12. yahmon

yahmon New Member

if your cdi is combined with the coil it can just be cut like in the following link.
    http://modernvespa.com/forum/topic132389
    Mine didn't look anything like that, my cdi box is seperate up front right behind the ignition key and had to buy a malossi to get the revs up.

13. yahmon

yahmon New Member

This is how the 4 valve goes with 230 lbs rider

nikitzo likes this.
  14. nikitzo

nikitzo Member

Hellow friends,
    There was't news from me for a long time. So I almost pass 2000 km after big bore kit and almost understood what this little engine likes or dislikes.
    I will try to summarize.
    In the middle of July when I finished my work I started my Zip to go home and on the first corner I hear scary sound coming from my CVT. Immediately shut down the engine and call my father to bring me and the scooter with his car. This was the way to realize that Piaggio Zip can be loaded to Peugeot Partner (just remove mirrors).
    [​IMG]
    In the garage (with shaking hands) I remove the cover and was expecting complete mess. Luckily (or not) the reason was loosen nut of the variator. The noise was coming from the plastic fan which was touching the cover. That was the result
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I carefully clean the mustaches of the fan and mount it back. This time I decide to use small amount of Loctite 243 for that nut.

So after few days I receive this
    [​IMG]
    But when I tried to unlock Loctited nut I didn’t have any success. The nut was like welded. Absolutely no chance to unlock it. I read that heating will help. What are you thinking?

About the green spring. I was thinking that Malossi colors are like etalon for stiffness of springs. No! When put this spring the scooter became slow as never before. No speed, no acceleration. That’s why I was in hurry to remove this green thing from my scooter. So and so I will open the CVT cover so I decided to buy piaggio variator tool to try again to unlock that shitty nut. Again no success. Any advice will be helpful for me.

Other thing that I change was the main jet. From 80 to 82. That was good decision.

And one question for the final. What kind of fuel you use? I use 100 octane fuel.

Attached Files:

15. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

16. nikitzo

nikitzo Member

I have pneumatic one. No success.

17. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Turn the air up to max.
    Most pneumatic guns need a constant 90psi to operate well.
    Never had one fail to get a nut off yet.

18. Matic1234

Matic1234 Member

What is the top speed of a Zip with a 80cc kit , derestricted cdi and the variator washer removed without changing other parts?

19. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

about 30mph unless you change from the standard exhaust:D

20. Matic1234

Matic1234 Member

The top speed with a 50cc cylinder is 40mph (65kmh). It should have a higher top speed with a 80cc kit.