Piaggio zip 250 build

Discussion in 'Maxiscooter Tuning' started by bobbymiller08, Oct 1, 2016.

1. bobbymiller08

bobbymiller08 New Member

So 5 years ago I bought a zip 125 ac 4 stroke and tbh it wasn't all that bad just needed a new head gasket and some new panels but I'm a bit of a petrolhead and I work as a mechanical engineer after looking into the standard engine I noticed it was rather similar to the engine in my gilera runner vx so I went and bought the piaggio workshop manual and loan behold same crank case just different cylinder and head so after finding out this I built a new engine and I never got round to finishing the bike off I just put it in the shed and forgot about it for 4 years then the other day I went down to check it and I got a new cdi unit to go on the bike because I still had the ac cdi so I fitted the lc cdi turned the engine over and it detonated bent 4 valves and snapped the timing chain hears where it gets interesting someone I no had a engine for sale so I went and got it and it's a 250 vespa engine with a carburettor [emoji7] [​IMG] so this is where I'm at now hopefully il have the bike finished tomorrow and be booking it in for a mot next weekend not you everyday piaggio zip can't wait to get this monster back on the road

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn likes this.
  2. rossm

rossm Member

Nice

3. bobbymiller08

bobbymiller08 New Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Nearly finished just a couple of clips on the water pipes,throttle cable,headlight then put plastics back on!!!!!!!

4. bobbymiller08

bobbymiller08 New Member

[​IMG]
    The beast is alive!!!!!!!

5. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

hahhaha nice!
    i once put an AC motor in a VX, they are the exact same motor, just a few little differences here and there.
    did the 250 bolt right in? looks just like the leader engine

6. bobbymiller08

bobbymiller08 New Member

It's a quasar 250 and yer the engine mount is the same but because the head is bigger you have to cut out the brace under the seat bucket for it to fit so I welded a tube from one side to the other in the dimples in the frame and cut the bucket to slide over that or you could extend the mount but because it's got a bigger wheel it looks like a drag bike mine just looks the same but I got 12" wheel front and back you can just plug it into the zip 125 loom but I got a runner St loom and clocks just make a handle bar mount for them atm

7. bobbymiller08

bobbymiller08 New Member

Oh and as for the leader engines I converted the zip ac to a 125 lc Thay are the same crank case and crank but nearly everything els is different

8. bobbymiller08

bobbymiller08 New Member

[​IMG]

9. bobbymiller08

bobbymiller08 New Member

[​IMG]
    It's a bit mad max [emoji16]

scubabiker likes this.
  10. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

i like the start button

11. bobbymiller08

bobbymiller08 New Member

Thanks I was Looking at it and was like I need a start button so it ended up there got a led fuel light to go next to it and a manual override for the fan as well

scubabiker likes this.
  12. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

i have a fan override on my madmax bike, the thermo switch stopped working so i made a switch on the fairing. it still overheats but it lasts a bit longer now...

13. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    cannot really call it a zip or a vespa (aka wasp ) so i was thinking its more a Calabrone ( hornet in italian ) its bigger than a zip and more angry than a vespa lol , but its one hella sleeper zip lol keep the 125 stickers and likes on hehehe

i bet that scoot is going to turn a few 125's into my little ponys of the lights lol.

scubabiker likes this.
  14. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

i love that name! calabrone! you should call it that!

15. bobbymiller08

bobbymiller08 New Member

Man your epic I'm going to get some calabrone stickers made in the same style as the zip ones nearly finished the clock mount but I think that I might have to slim it down a bit looks chunky

16. bobbymiller08

bobbymiller08 New Member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

17. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    no worries i thought zip was a bit outdated and its got a vespa lump in it but vespa means wasp in italian and its going to have more than just a sting in its tail end lol, so a hornet is a more angry version of a vepsa and a quick google gave calabrone as the meaning for hornet in italian ( i mean if they made another scoot i sure would want a bigger more angry name than vespa hence calabrone going with the angry winged beasties theme ) also a great talking point to everyone thats not italian is going to say whats a Calabrone " why its a cross between a zip and a angry vespa aka a piaggio Hornet " lol

as for the clock being a bit to big , NA it just needs a little digital clock under the rpm counter every man needs to know the time now and again ;) , having that space free gives you options like an added signal light for spot lamps etc etc . maybe even a temp readout if shes an ac motor.

18. bobbymiller08

bobbymiller08 New Member

I'm liking the name and as for the clocks theres time coolent temp speed rpm light and indicator display on there atm and I've got a set of combi switches and a throttle with a special button on the top coming so atm I've got all the buttons and displays I need so might cut some more off or change the cut angles se how it looks

On a different note dose anyone know what the land speed record for a piaggio zip chassis is ???????

19. bobbymiller08

bobbymiller08 New Member

20. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

i still think i could shred some of those speed records, although 119 in the 1/4 isnt bad at all....