Piaggio typhoon bogging

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by tilly23, Apr 16, 2017.

1. tilly23

tilly23 New Member

i have a piaggio typhoon 2014 with a gianelli exhausted which is derestricted, it used to go off the speedo, then I put diesel in it - a few weeks later I got the bike repaired, there was still a little diesel in the system but it wasn't running no where near as well as before. About a week ago the variatior fan snapped, the variatior nut was hand tight. I brought a new fan, put it all on, torqued the but to what I believe to be the right setting but now when I ride it, it bogs down and struggles to hit 30mph.

The ped has had a new spark plug and the carb has been cleaned thoroughly twice since putting diesel in it, any help would be appreciated

2. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    how many tanks has been through the scoot tilly ?

i did the same mistake , filled up with 6lt of diesel in my little twostroker. i pumped the tank out, drained the carb and finally got it started ..... BUT when i get to half a tank the scooter stalls out as if it filled with diesel again.
    What i know is diesel is more heavy than petrol and when left will seperate and sink . so you have to keep sloshing tank to make sure its mixing good, at same time its gonna take a good 3-5 tanks before all the diesel residue has worked its way out.

if your a fourstroke, you MUST replace engine oil, the diesel will have tainted the engine oil to, so you need to do a fresh engine oil change to help flush the diesel out, also drain the carb every so often to help clean that out to.

3. tilly23

tilly23 New Member

First thing I done after realising I put diesel in was drain the tank and then wash it out with petrol, since then I've probably gone through 6-7 tanks of fuel. I don't really think it's a diesel related problem I am more convinced that it's the variator

4. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Have a look at the splines on the variator fixed half.
    If the nuts come loose it will have knackered the inside splines and will probably be skipping over the crank shaft.

5. tilly23

tilly23 New Member

Sorry mate not too sure what you mean by this - don't suppose you have a diagram or something similar?

6. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

7. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    the fixed half = when you undo the variator nut a round disc plate comes off thats what we call the fixed half pulley face.

now with that pully face in your hand the center hole that slide onto the crank shaft has some little notched teeth all the way around, these teeth slide onto the crank shaft that has grooved rungs around it. sometimes the half pulley teeth get slightly worn away and when the motor spins up the half pulley spins because it cannot grip the crank shaft due to its worn teeth .

Steve is wanting you to check that these pulley teeth are not worn , if your still unsure, lay the fixed half pulley onto a white paper and take a photograph of the center hole so we can inspect the teeth for wear, also take a picture of the grooved runs on the crank shaft where those teeth slip onto so we can inspect them for wear to ;)