Piaggio typhoon 125 2T views on MOT failure

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by typh-gilly99, Aug 2, 2017.

1. typh-gilly99

typh-gilly99 Member

Rides:
    Typhoon 125 2T
    My typh is completely standard. Only aftermarket part is a front brake caliper with extension bracket and new brake pads.

Failed it's MOT because the front brake test indicated a sticking/binding brake. Surely this is because of new brake pads fitted recently and they are rubbing because they haven't been subjected to much friction as of yet. He also told me that the front brake caliper must be seized as it wasn't moving back and fourth. However front brake works fine and this brand new front caliper had just been fitted a few weeks ago. So how could it be seized?

The bike is completely standard engine wise and must have original rollers in from manufacture. He mentioned the bike revs like fu** and i need heavier rollers. But it's clearly got original weighted rollers in from manufacturer and from what I'm aware of 2 stroke typhs are quite revy/nippy bikes and plus it's just had a new 125 piston/cylinder kit which I'm still in the process of wearing in. This wasn't a failure he just mentioned this.

Lastly, also failed as headlight dipped beam is affected by operation of another lamp. E.g. Main and dip lights on at same time.

What are your views on this?

2. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    Clean/grease front brake caliper, wheel should spin freely after brake operation. revs are not a mot failure, check light switch and or wiring.

3. typh-gilly99

typh-gilly99 Member

Rides:
    Typhoon 125 2T
    Do you just mean grease the slider pin?

4. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    pop out the pads and have a clean out tend to find dirt and crap builds up even on new secondhand parts, if its a brand new caliper from shop i would be calling them up and asking for a returns form due to a failed unit and it costing you an mot due to it being sticky and non working in the correct manner it should.

lighting i would say you have a main light wire cross, pop front panel off and check the connector could find the highbeam has been wired to the lowbeam for some reason and when low beam lamp is switched on the high beam is auto illumitated due to that.

hi beam and low beam carry there own wire connections earth and live to low beam and a earth live to high beam, just check them and do a continuity test on the high beam switch contacts and the lowbeam switch contacts ( ie low beam switch in active mode test continuity between the high beam contact to lowbeam )

5. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

Possibly if it's an aftermarket part and you have also fitted a bracket it is not lined up(or fitted) correctly.
    Do you still have the genuine one to compare the two?

6. typh-gilly99

typh-gilly99 Member

Rides:
    Typhoon 125 2T
    Yeh i do, il fit the genuine one back on and see how it goes.

7. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

Ok but clean it up first and make sure the sliding pins are cleaned with wet and dry paper and then greased(lightly) with copper grease.
    Also check the piston(s) are clean before forcing them back to fit the new pads.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  8. Mark Emerson Trentham

Mark Emerson Trentham Well Known Member. Staff Member

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Sounds to me you mentioned/he concentrated.did'nt approve.;).
    Some times it's best to keep your mouth shut .IF you know it works.;).