Piaggio Skipper ST (4 stroke 125, 2004) tuning/UK parts?..

Discussion in 'Maxiscooter Tuning' started by ReverendSkipper, Jul 29, 2016.

1. ReverendSkipper

ReverendSkipper Member

Rides:
    PiaggioSkipperST125
    Hi folks,
    So, I have 2 engines with my '04 Piaggio Skipper ST, and I'd like to throw a bit of 4T tuning at one of them, *without breaking the bank*! New and stock the thing is only ~8.8 bhp with a power-to-weight ratio of 0.0815 and I'd like to up that somewhat, keeping final gearing stock as I'm only after a little more accelleration. Thinking about either/and/or big bore barrel and piston/better breathing head/performance cam shaft, then later adding better variator and clutch.

Anyone suggest a route to follow with this, how far I'll need to go, and which parts are best value/performance/money, and best places to order these from? I'm in the uk by the way.

TIA and be well, all!

Shaun

2. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Big bore/head/cam/variator/clutch + not breaking bank = you'll be lucky:p

Seriously though, without diving around the interweb, I think you can get a 150 or 180 bore kit for it, it's the leader engine if i remember rightly.
    Question though: have you passed your bike test (A license)?
    If not then your will be riding illegally.

3. ReverendSkipper

ReverendSkipper Member

Rides:
    PiaggioSkipperST125
    As a 47 y/o married dad I'm aware of the laws involved here, and it won't be getting used on a learner license.

That out of the way, the big bore route was secondary to the trick head/cam - if I could get it up to around 12+ hp with just head/cam/carb/exhaust I'd be happiest.

4. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

If I remember rightly the new replacement standard carb for that engine is around £297 itself.
    The upgrade I would think is about the same price or thereabouts.
    Malossi cam shaft..........?
    Exhaust..........start around £250 and go up from there.

How's the budget looking?

I've just had a quick dig around, without looking too hard at the specs, a malossi cam is around £200. But some can only be used with the malossi barrel kit.

5. ReverendSkipper

ReverendSkipper Member

Rides:
    PiaggioSkipperST125
    Hi Steve - Thanks again for the reply, and thanks for the tip re. some of the cams and the stock barrel not working together it's info like that that's really helpful - so what's the issue between some Malossi cams and the stock barrel then?

Is anyone doing a(n improved) head and cam already matched with stronger springs etc. allready together do you know?

I suppose I posted the original message in the hopes I might find someone who's already done one or two of these sorts of Leader mods, but they're proving hard to nail down it seems ',;~}~

So far budget still looking alright.

Thanks again,

Shaun.

6. ReverendSkipper

ReverendSkipper Member

Rides:
    PiaggioSkipperST125
    I'd also considered retrofitting a skipper 2T and tickle that up a little for a cheaper and simpler way of getting a few more hp, but I don't fancy all the extra running hassles of a 'stroker, nor the extra thirst.

All the Malossi based stuff I can find involves the 4 valve water cooled heads only, and I'm not sure those heads can be converted to forced air cooling without major machining?..

Found a nice 4 stroke leader tune-up writeup for the 2 valve head a/c engine, but he re-profiled his own cam, and then cut bigger valve seats for new customised oversized valves... so this got me thinking a bit...

Cheers!

Shaun.

7. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Most people just change the barrel, upping it to a 172/180/200, and keep the standard head and cam setup, and to be honest, I've got 3 leader engines on the ramp at the moment that sooner or later i will get round to doing, and that's the route i will be going down, simple barrel changes.
    Unless I do a one off MAJOR special jobbie on one of them:rolleyes:

ReverendSkipper likes this.
  8. ReverendSkipper

ReverendSkipper Member

Rides:
    PiaggioSkipperST125
    I'd thought about that and it may still be partly an option. However what I'd really like is to find a hot cam that fits the 2v head - I've always had a thing for getting more out of a smaller engine via tuning, rather than hitting a vehicle with more capacity.

It's a shame that all the Malossi stuff needs all the other Malossi stuff - can't even get a 125 lc Leader engine and fit a Malossi V4 lc head - needs the bloomin' Malossi barrel too doesn't it, and I am not even sure they do a 125 barrel for it anyway.

I suppose I may be able to dig up a *cam regrinding co. that'd put a fast street profile on a stock leader cam for me, then fit new springs, work on exhaust and carburation afterwards...

Cheers!

Shaun.

*Anyone know of one they'd rec?..

9. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn Administrator Staff Member

Rides:
    et2 monster
    the swap from 2 to 4 valves onl;y helps at rpm's the engine cant really reach, the 2v will pull better at lower revs, no replacment for displacment, 150 it, seriously... its a standard part/setup so no guessing jetting, can put a pipe on there but most of them are crap/aim for noise, too big bore. id be tempted to just buy a cheap can and have a pipe made from what you already have... cheap.. little tweaking of the transmission and you should be set. past that your looking at head work, more duration or higher lift wont really do anything down the pissy ports the heads have, again theres more space in the 2v for a single port than for 2 smaller ports. broom broom

10. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn Administrator Staff Member

Rides:
    et2 monster
  11. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    Kent cams could re-profile a std cam for you! We had Honda c 90 cams done in the early 90's.

12. torpedo01

torpedo01 Active Member

Rides:
    Pedal Bike M8
    because some people like to play with engines do some tuning and have fun with skills they have/learn new skills

MARSH and sean178 like this.
  13. torpedo01

torpedo01 Active Member

Rides:
    Pedal Bike M8
    so? some people like two strokes and some people like 4 strokes it doesn't matter what it is or what it costs 4 strokes are just as good to learn to tune as 2 strokes are 2 strokes are being phased out now so 4 stroke tuning is becoming a huge thing