Piaggio Skip 125 into a Baotian bt49?

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Seatonwills, Jun 2, 2022.

1. Seatonwills

Seatonwills New Member

Hi all,

As per the title. I'm looking at one of these skip 125 engines and it looks to have the mounts at the bottom and the rear shock mount in the same place as my Baotian. The engine is about £175 and a loom is £40 which seems pretty decent if it can be done. Looking around forums, I've only seen the sym fiddle 2 and another one I can't remember, mentioned when talking about a 50-125 engine swap, because they have the mounts on the bottom. Does anyone have any knowledge or info on the Piaggio skip engine and whether it might be a candidate for a swap into the Chinese 50cc? If it would, I'm guessing the wiring will be the next hassle, hence looking for a full loom. Would I need anything else? I'm guessing the cdi or ecu but would I also need the ignition barrel and key? Any advice, experience or ideas would be great, thanks

2. tomo9992

tomo9992 Member

Rides:
    RS125
    I mean it would be a lot less hassle just to buy a 125cc scooter but I'll assume that's not an option. Sounds like you are on the right path in regards to part requirements, I don't have any experience with that type of engine swap but my pal did used to have a skip 125 and a Baotain 50, solid engines if you can get it to work. Might be that case of you have to just crack on with it and work it out as you go if no info online about it. Good luck though, would make the Baotain a pretty nippy machine.

3. Seatonwills

Seatonwills New Member

Thank you. Situation as it stands is the Baotian's crankshaft needs doing so my options are to repair it, get a new bike or get a new engine. My thinking is if I repair it, whilst the engine is apart, I might as well do the uprated crank, then if I do that, I might as well do the BBK and if I'm doin that then probably a bigger carb and so on and so on. By the time I'm through the rabbit hole I'll have spent a more money than just getting another used bike! I like the idea of doing the engine swap, partly to see if I can and partly as I love the look of the Baotain but have always wanted a bit more grant from it. I'll see if anyone else weighs in but you are probably right, best thing might just be to dive in!