Piaggio Liberty 50t - air filter causing acceleration problems

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Franc Falco, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Franc Falco

Franc Falco New Member

Hi all,

Just checking here if anyone has any nuggets as to the above?

I recently decided to change the sponge air filter in my Piaggio 50 t scooter (2000).
    I was hoping to remove the sponge filter, give it a wash and put it back but as i removed the filter it disintegrated in my hands. A new filter was ordered, but the following morning the first drive with a filterless bike caused the scooter to badly stall on full acceleration?

I have since taken the scooter to 2 shops and neither have completely solved the problem - the first was rubbish and gave back the scooter in a worst state than given, the second shop was much better and immediately advised that the air filter is crucial to running and without an air filter the scooter will never run properly.

I was aware that its not advisable to run any combustion engine without an air filter but i'm amazed that this filter issue is causing so much ongoing trouble! But even without an air filter the bike starts, idles and runs perfectly fine at low revs.

A new filter has been installed, and whilst the scooter runs much better, it still occasionally hesitates on acceleration and on full throttle feels slightly under powered and unable to reach full revs?

So, I've given two shops a go without much luck, just wondering if any experts on here have any suggestions/advice - the new air filter is in place but I still have running issues?

Keep me posted please

cheers

Franc

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
  2. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    Mixture screw need's a tickle, has it been de restricted?

3. Franc Falco

Franc Falco New Member

Interesting thoughts about mixture screw and as far as i know, isn't restricted - are there anyway visual signs to tell?
    Strangely, the ride into work this morning was fine, didn't hesitate once??
    It just may be the removal of the air filter and a new replacement upset the balance for a while but now the scooter is settling down - i'm baffled?
    Only small observation is that i just 'feels' as though it doesn't get to top revs as quickly as before, buts its running okay so i'll keep me fingers crossed!

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  4. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    You set the mixture by starting it, let the auto choke come off (5 mins) adjust mixture screw a little either way until it idles at it's smoothest setting. Turn it in/out always noting how much, don't be scared to adjust it. Once you find the sweet spot then adjust tick over to suit.

5. Franc Falco

Franc Falco New Member

Idle, tick over and low rev performance is good - starts first time on the button and pulls cleanly until mid revs - then performance starts to tail-off sooner than i think it should from previous experience.
    Are you saying the mixture screw adjustment can help the hesitation at full revs - I'm just not clear how that can be surmised by adjustment at tick over?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  6. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    What's the plug colour? It need's to be a dark chocolate brown!

7. Franc Falco

Franc Falco New Member

i would say more of a dark tan

8. Franc Falco

Franc Falco New Member

Seems to have cured itself??
    Does seem that the air filter was the critical component - without one, major running issues. When replaced, all seems okay.

A lesson learnt that with small 2 stroke engines, air/fuel mixture has to be spot on otherwise, they just don't run properly - at all!

MARSH - many thanks for the assistance!

9. 4strokelover

4strokelover Active Member

Rides:
    Longjia Raptor 200
    I know you have said its sorted out now, i was thinking you could of had a little bit of dirt ect in the carb (from where you where riding with no filter) and it cleard out after a while.

10. Franc Falco

Franc Falco New Member

Thats what i originally thought - but as mentioned, it was just the fact that i had taken the old air filter out and not replaced it.
    New replacement seems to have sorted all the issues - thankfully!

4strokelover likes this.