Piaggio Liberty 125 power issue

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by On2wheels, Jan 6, 2020.

1. On2wheels

On2wheels New Member

Hi all, new here.

I have a the above scooter (2011) that I've been commuting on for a few years so fair to say its done some mileage (35,000 miles). Its now developed an issue where it tops out at max 40mph, and is slow to get up to that speed. The issue is consistent so it almost seems as if its been limited. I've had a friendly mechanic look at it and after replacing the clutch which was worn, as well as the air inlet manifold which was cracked, the issue remains and he is at a loss. He suggested it might be that the engine is just done due to mileage. I'm reluctant to throw much more cash at a problem that can't be identified. The bike is in very good nick so before I 'spares or repair' it thought I'd throw the issue out there to see if anyone had seen similar problems.

Failing that, any idea what would be a reasonable ask if I put it up for sale as 'spares or repairs'?

Cheers

2. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    Have a look at the variator rollers/ belt, these should be replaced at around 8 to 10,000 anyway.

3. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Could be a worn barrel as well, compression test.

4. On2wheels

On2wheels New Member

Thanks for the replies.

I'm pretty sure the rollers and belt were replaced not too long ago, but will check my service book. I'll look into getting a compression test done, although I would have thought a worn barrel might result in a gradual decay in performance, whereas this was fine one day, and then just down on power the next.

5. ET2SLOW

ET2SLOW New Member

If the transmission is all good (the mechanic will have picked up on this and you have had it serviced anyway) then it’s probably the top end that needs replacing. I would expect that at the miles it’s done. Just get a new barrel/piston fitted and you will be good to go. If you like the bike and don’t mind holding onto it, 2nd hand low mileage engines are under £200 and you have the benefit of low mileage transmission, bottom end, top end, seals, valves, starter motor etc.

Could also be worn carb/valve clearances but again the mechanic should have checked these and you will have other symptoms.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020