Piaggio Hexagon Electrical Power - Stator output - Spare Power - Runner - Dragster

Discussion in 'Scooter Guides' started by _Rennur_, Feb 17, 2014.

1. _Rennur_

_Rennur_ 2-stroke or no stroke.

I've recently been running some tests on the electrical system on my Piaggio Hexagon 180 to see how much power the scooters electrics use, how much is spare and how much the stator output is.

I tried googling this before but could not find the real world details so did it myself and thought I would share. A they are the same engines the figures should be close to the available stator output on both the Italjet Dragster 180 and Gilera Runner 180 too.

Tests were done using a power analyser between the scooter battery and electrical system, this allowed me to test power going both from the battery to the scooter and from the scooter to the battery.

Warning: If wanting to do this yourself be sure to use appropriate fuses and connectors as the power use could potentially be quite high. Also on the hexagon the system MUST NOT be run without the battery present, this would cause very high system voltages that would damage the lights and other electrical items...so make sure when using an in-line meter than the connections are GOOD.

Note: For tests with lights, I have an LED rear numberplate light that uses 0.3w. I believe the original is 5w so you would need to add or subtract this on to the various figures.

So based on my tests it looks like the stator is likely 100w total with a running peak power available of 90w after providing power to run the engine itself. However typically it looks like 25-60w would be available in normal riding conditions. It needs to be noted that the standard electrical system can get into a position where it alone is using more power than the stator can put out, but these conditions are rare during normal riding.

Hope this helps people with these scooters, I searched everywhere for these figures and just could not find them so thought I would share. Feel free to repost these figures elsewhere.

Oh and here are some pictures of the testing under way:

20140216_142914.jpg
    20140216_142920.jpg
    20140216_142935.jpg

Stevep likes this.
  2. shamrockexpress

shamrockexpress Member

Hi Rennur
    Interesting test i would suppose these figures are good to know when plugging auxillary items into the charging socket (ie mobile phone , mp3, torch etc)
    how many miles on your hexagon and do you use it much?

3. _Rennur_

It had about 6,000 miles on it when I bought it early last year and is up to around 7,500 now.
    I tend to use it only for scooter rallies and the odd ride, planning on doing as many rallies this summer as I can afford and am aiming to do the bulk of the BSRA Challenge:

http://www.bsra-uk.com/Events.htm

4. shamrockexpress

shamrockexpress Member

I,m in N.Ireland and have just bought my 3rd 180,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,they are great value for money and my mates are all catching on to as to how practical they are...............is there many other lads doing the rallies on them!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. _Rennur_

I've yet to see another hexagon on a rally...but I kind of like that as runners, dragsters, GTS's, PX's and Lammy's are everywhere.

6. shamrockexpress

shamrockexpress Member

Do you have much vibration up thru the headset when taking off? Once under way its fine, I,ve give it a full service and is identical top end to my mates new gtv 300ie last week we were clocking 82/84 on a flat road with a tail wind, mine is going really good and chuffed the 300s cant get past I,m not fussed on 4 strokes at all!!!!!
    Have you looked into tunning yours what do you think would be the best upgrade I ONLY NEED 3/5 MPH TO LEAVE THE 300S BEHIND,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,any ideas?
    ps what tyres you running? I have vee rubber and they are CRAP so looking new ones?

7. _Rennur_